mod idea about soil characteristics - how to start?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
DirectCedar

mod idea about soil characteristics - how to start?

Post by DirectCedar »

I've been mulling over an idea for a mod to add more characteristics to soils so that field operations have more impact on field conditions, and different implements and different crops (and hopefully weather again if it's possible) influence these conditions. If it's even possible to implement such a system, the idea is to require a lot more management of field conditions to grow an optimum crop, rather than the vanilla cycle of cultivate-seed-occasionally-plough and always get the same yield. I am imagining something similar for field conditions to the way the old FS15 Soilmod treated fertility, pesticide, and moisture management. Ideally in fact I'd love to incorporate all those agronomic factors in the same way on top of the field conditions, but I'm already biting off more than I can chew so I'll start smaller :lol: To do this I think I need to add two or three more layers to fields to represent these values, in a similar way to how the game already handles fertility, growth stages, and periodic ploughing indicators. I've got all kinds of wacky ideas of the numerical way of implementing this but that's the easiest part from my point of view and not the pertinent part of this discussion; my limitation right now is I don't know where to even start looking in files for the right code to modify to accommodate an idea like this.

So I have a couple questions to get me started, for anyone whose modding experience has led them to know the answers:
1) where in the game files do I find the descriptions or code that controls field characteristics such as fertility and growth stage?
2) is it even possible to add more layers like this to represent other characteristics?

Alternately (and ideally), if someone knows how to code something like this but has been held back by what the numbers and factors should be to make such a system realistic, I would be super happy to pass on my work about the simulation aspects if someone else enjoys the coding. The agronomy and mechanical parts I am very experienced with, the coding not at all. So a partner would be super if anyone is interested.
Procobator

Re: mod idea about soil characteristics - how to start?

Post by Procobator »

the Giants Developer Network website has the scripting reference for the in game lua files. There is a lot of useful information there that will assist you to plan your layout of your scripting. That may be a good place to start.

https://gdn.giants-software.com/documentation.php