Is default hp low.

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
ekeenan

Is default hp low.

Post by ekeenan »

I do know about the formula used to calculate the torqueScale when determining hp. This should be easier when the torque curve is the vanilla curve. The problem is that when applying this to Giant's tractors, the result is low by about 10 or more when looking at hp and definitely lower when looking at the torqueScale. Is the hp usage high internally ? I thought I may have come across this somewhere since the only time I get accurate numbers is from posts.

I realize the results will vary depending on the formula used so if the hp result is off by only a few digits then this is not a big deal, but when hp is off by 10 or more, then the tractor's performance can be in question. This of course depends if the internal hp usage is close to accurate.

Here are the formulas I have seen used when the torque curve is standard.

torqueScale = hp/225.5
torqueScale = hp*0.00434

When the torque curve is not standard. The full formula is used.
Note: The full formula can be used with the standard torque curve, but the above would be easier. I would think the full formula would be more accurate.

hp = ((torqueScale*torque) * pi * 2200(RPM)/30) * 1.35962161
kW = ((torqueScale*torque) * pi * 2200(RPM)/30)

Edward K.
ekeenan

Re: Is default hp low.

Post by ekeenan »

The initial calculations appear to be low, but according to dev mode, the hp being generated is accurate. I guess the internal numbers are off.

Remember to run "gsVehicleToggleDebugRendering" at the dev console.
ekeenan

Post by ekeenan »

I have new information to add when calculating hp from TorqueScale. Turns out that if you use the above full formula, the difference will be about 20hp. There will be a +/- difference, but you will be close. This means that if you get 334hp from the above calculation when working with the default MF8700 350hp model, FS17 will show around 350hp in dev mode.

Another thing is when working with torqueScale, use 3 decimal places such as "1.250". When changing the the last 2 digits, you change the overall hp by about 10hp.

As far as I know I am not missing anything when working with the above formula. I would think the results shown in dev mode would match what you get above, but they do not.

I hope this difference can get fixed in FS19. Formulas are rather useless if the results are not accurate.
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

The formulas are correct.
Did you think about the difference between rated power and maximum power?
Most modern higher powered tractors have something like "overpower", which basically means that the maximum power is higher than the rated power.
If you use the simplified formula, you get the rated power. In FS the motor is always trying to run at maximum power, which is somewhere around 1900RPM with the default torque curve. Hence when checking the power/torque in dev mode, you will usually see a higher power value than what you calculated as rated power.
ekeenan

Post by ekeenan »

bassaddict wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:29 am The formulas are correct.
Did you think about the difference between rated power and maximum power?
Most modern higher powered tractors have something like "overpower", which basically means that the maximum power is higher than the rated power.
If you use the simplified formula, you get the rated power. In FS the motor is always trying to run at maximum power, which is somewhere around 1900RPM with the default torque curve. Hence when checking the power/torque in dev mode, you will usually see a higher power value than what you calculated as rated power.
The case 340 Magnum in the game is shown as having 409hp, but this is the max boosted hp. The torqueScale used is "1,731" which in real life is the rated 389hp. Your reply indicated that dev mode would be showing max power, but does this mean that FS17 would always be operating like this? Would the 340 Magnum actually be operating closer to its rated hp?

Edit: According to what I found online, the Fendt 1000 series operates at one standard hp. There is no burst mode. This means that with these tractors, max power and rated power are the same.