What defines if placeables can be placed?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
LostManAbroad

What defines if placeables can be placed?

Post by LostManAbroad »

My questions:

1. How do I remove foliage in the editor so that it stays gone? (In the editor I just picked the right foliage and simply deleted it. I don't know why it comes back.)
2. How do I change areas of the map to allow placeables to be placed?

I am part of a community called Virtual Farming World and we keep our economy on a website, external to the game so that players can have control over their own finances and be able to buy their own individual equipment and yards to store them. I edited the map Cantabria Infinite for our community by placing small empty concrete yards around the map that our players could buy in order to store equipment that they purchase but I have run into two problems.

The first, and more minor problem is that even though I first removed the foliage layer from the area where I painted the concrete yards onto the map, once I went in game, I discovered that the yards I dotted around the map all still have grass growing through them, despite me removing the grass in the editor first. I solved the problem on some of the yards by purchasing a placeable building and putting it over the yard which automatically removes any foliage underneath it. I then sell the placeable and the foliage remains gone. This is where I discovered the second, much bigger problem though.

Some of the yards that I placed will not accept the placement of placeables on them. No matter how I orient the placeable buildings the ghost image remains red. The other place I want to put a placeable where I am not allowed to is within the plank factory on the map. I found a great mod for an auto loading plank storage facility which would be perfect to have at the plank factory but you cannot put placeables within industries.
lphillips160

Re: What defines if placeables can be placed?

Post by lphillips160 »

Answer to your first problem is that after editing foliage on a map, you must either restart or progress, or in your case, you could possibly get away with using the roller to delete the grass from those concrete pads.

And to loosely answer the second question, I can't remember exactly what to look for, but in the XML for those placeables, there is a section that defines the placing perimeters. Just dial them down
Criti

Re: What defines if placeables can be placed?

Post by Criti »

LostManAbroad wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:49 am My questions:

1. How do I remove foliage in the editor so that it stays gone? (In the editor I just picked the right foliage and simply deleted it. I don't know why it comes back.)
2. How do I change areas of the map to allow placeables to be placed?
1.- You have a brush to eliminate the foliage, save, compress and you should see it without the
2.- You are modifying an old version, in 1.8 you do not have that problem. It is the fault of the plans that are below the map that carry rigibody and prevents the placement of things on top.