[Blender] Good modeling guides

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Boddi

[Blender] Good modeling guides

Post by Boddi »

First to Giants: Congrats on the new forum design. It’s very good 😊

Back on topic: The FS series made me a modder. There are plenty of good tutorials on how to edit an existing mod, mapping or working with XML files. But as a modeling-newbie I quickly became frustrated by the low number of great modelling tutorials. Sure, there are tons of Blender tutorials on YouTube. But it’s hard to find a complete set of videos related to modeling for Farming Simulator.

I soon learned that model makers often use the phrase “work flow”. A Work flow is (in this case) nothing more than a description of the steps needed for bringing an idea to life in the game.

A simplified workflow for making a FS model looks something like this.
  1. Create the high poly version of the model.
  2. Create the low poly version. (Some people create the low poly version first.)
  3. Create normal, and specular maps, including ambient occlusion.
  4. Create textures
  5. Bring the model to GE for in-gaming.
  6. Create the XML files.
I want to share with you a series of videos covering the first 4 points. And because FS19 will see the introduction of Physically Based Rendering (PBR) I guess the part about using Substance Painter for creating textures is relevant, as well.

Part 1: Creating a high poly model
Part 2: Creating the low poly model and UV unwrapping
Part 3: Making a normal map
Part 4: Texturing in Substance Painter

Of course, there are tons of other things that goes into making a great model for FS. But the videos will give you a nice overview of the process.

If you need a great introduction on how to work with Blender, I would recommend these videos:
- Getting Started With Blender

And when you’ve made you first model in Blender, the “Farming Simulator Modding for Dummies” eBook and Giants' modding videos will be very handy. You'll get access to both the ebook and videos when you register at Giants Developer Network.

Please feel free to share other tutorials on modeling game assets in Blender that could be helpful to others below :smileynew: