Geo Mod Minnesota USA discussion

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
jah6575

Geo Mod Minnesota USA discussion

Post by jah6575 »

Hey guys!
I am shocked and amazed that so many of you have downloaded my mod. Thank you.

I wanted to give some background on this mod and open it up for thoughts on how to make it better.

First off, I live in Southeast Minnesota and have been here for my entire life. While I never lived on a farm I have helped work on farms growing up, but not enough to consider myself experienced in it. When Seasons was released I fell in love and haven’t played a non seasons game since. I play on both PC and Xbox One, but since my office setup isn’t very comfortable I prefer to play on console.

I was extremely please when Seasons got released to console and was pleasantly surprised by it. Thanks again to the guys at Realismus Modding and to Giants for this. Once released I immediately started playing seasons on console and haven’t looked back. I tried different geos for Seasons, especially Northern Sweden as the climate here is very similar. I had trouble over multiple game years getting Spring crops to grow and decided to take matters into my own hands.

I started developing this mod in January and have included custom growth and weather based on real life here. I decided not to restrict certain crops because I have fun playing the game and based on the reality that they could be grown here.

Honestly the growth was the easy part. It was time consuming but because I got to learn the code by review, and trial and error I got that done. I still have some ideas for future updates to growth.

The weather was another story. With little information on soil temp history and the way that Seasons handles snow melt I struggled for months to get it working. I sent it in for certification and it was kicked back, fixed the issue and resubmitted it and here we are with a new geo mod.

For some more background on the weather, with the exception of a couple of months I warmed up by a degree or two to help soil temps and snow melt it is all real climate data. Where I really struggle is the snow. What you will get on average is about 1/3 of the actual snowfall average. I am still looking at ways to improve this. But this requires continued testing, which I am still working on.

I am also considering modifying how the animals work slightly to improve productivity as animal husbandry is big here.

If you have thoughts on this geo please let me know here. If there are issues with it I will do my best to correct them as long as it fits the regional climate, balanced by fun game play.
ltl.vamp

Re: Geo Mod Minnesota USA discussion

Post by ltl.vamp »

Thank you jah6575, making a geo for us!

And I'm happy to read a few background information about how somebody making a geo. Thanks for that, too!
Would like tor read more background Information.

I love it, when a modder talk to us. "We're not worthy" :biggrin2:
Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One X, Xbox One
FS17 Platinum > FS19 Premium > FS15 Complete > FS22
Samsung UE65MU8009TX 4KUHDHDR
jah6575

Re: Geo Mod Minnesota USA discussion

Post by jah6575 »

:hi:
Glad you enjoy it. While I have to admit that like other modders I did this originally for myself I find that I enjoy sharing it with others too. I have two more geos in testing for certification and have drawn up two other ones but I still need to test those myself before submitting them.