[Fs19] GIANTS Editor - TerrainPaint Issue

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Re: [Fs19] GIANTS Editor - TerrainPaint Issue

Post by Stegei »

The textures you add need to be 100% identical to the other textures in terms of format. I.e. same resolution, same format (DXT5 for diffuse and normal), same number of mip maps (full mip chain).
The version 8.0.0 crashes when these properties don't match, but it should write the reason into the log file. The 8.1.0 Beta should not crash anymore.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

I assumed it was an issue with the custom textures so instead added default textures from the base game folder instead.

I have used the DE map as a base map, so tried adding some of the textures that are used in the US map.

I managed to add 4 new textures, or 1 combined set if you like. But after that everytime I added more it would crash GE, and no error was written to the log.

This was using GE 8.0.0.

GE 8.0.1 BETA has an issue with the camera glitching all the time which makes it unsuable so I had gone back to the first version as it was more stable.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I hope you can find a solution BB as yours are the maps I play and enjoy more than any other.
TSM

Post by TSM »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:59 pmGE 8.0.1 BETA has an issue with the camera glitching all the time which makes it unsuable so I had gone back to the first version as it was more stable.
as in goes psychedelic ?
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

When you load it up the viewport is black but then the picture appears every now and then as you pan the camera around.

But the movement of the camera is jerky and intermittent.
Bonger76

Post by Bonger76 »

what kind off explanation is that we did this to save memory but then they took back that saved memory to add 255 textures, quantity not quality.I dont know how anyone else's FPS are but mine are worse and my map size whent from un zipped 1.4G to 1.7G after converted it and my FS17 map had multi fruit and fabscipt stuff,so all these new changes help with maps size .What is going to happen is that there will be a bunch of cookie cutter maps no quality.When I build a map it has to fill real with depth the new maps dont fill real hu** they have all kinds of detail with all those props,but that does not makes a map fun to play,when your working the field you dont see any of that look at distance annd the field sourondings
that's what makes fun,that is where you spend most of your time in game.

As fare as to blend the textures you could make up some ground decals it would take a lot and add more objects,or just do what Giants did and paint
the roads and the ground around the field one texture and cover with grass,but that wet sand transition on beach wow I look at that for hours,these prop and minute details are not why I play farm sim it is for the farming just a poor Farmer from Michigan US and whant to play with the equipment I will never get to operate.

frustratedly yours the PC mod mapper minority.

PS. As Giants has stated modders have made us successful :hmm:
masseyboys22

Post by masseyboys22 »

This whole post was an absolute Rant and well not deserved.

I see no point in it remaining.

Skullblits
Dezza69

Post by Dezza69 »

It's really nice reading forum posts focusing on the topic and gaining positive outcomes, unlike those other posts you occasionally read which appear more focused toward a specific individual, in some cases appearing rather vindictive or even potentially threatening and bordering on downright nasty.

Thank you to BB for raising these interesting points regarding the new editor, and to Stegei for providing relatively clear answers and/or work arounds.

I've learned many things from this thread.

Kind regards.
somethingonmyshoe2

Post by somethingonmyshoe2 »

hi there all
well i can say comeing from the birth of video games ( o yes i wos a nerd and in a way still am )
just to name one game
Commander Jameson in a game called Elite (Developer(s) David Braben,Ian Bell Publisher(s) Acornsoft (Acorn/BBC)

and with the words like o my god theres colour and its not black and white no more

i can say this and feel good when i say it ( change is a good thing )

on that note
giant please keep up the good work you do
i love the two new maps (Map name: Felsbrunn and Map name: Ravenport) and the new giant editor

on the last note please keep it sweet folks as kids use this forum

happy farming to you all

from the somethingonmyshoe2 the old one lol
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

BulletBill, can you send me a map where this crash happens? I haven't been able to reproduce this here.
Also can you send me the log of the editor so that I can check if there is any specific issue to figure out whats wrong with the camera?
sebmoc

Post by sebmoc »

Maybe I just got too used to FS17 but I do not like this new engine, as in Giants game engine. The same reasons of the terrain paint texturing. I am not a modder by any means of the term modder but I like to dabble with making my own maps. I cannot get the terrain to look anything like FS17. I have not progressed too far at present with my map and do not enjoy FS19 much at all.

Off topic:- With the patch 1.2 trying to enter vehicle I am left standing outside. Press '3' for auto then press 'E' again to exit vehicle, although you are not in the vehicle, you find yourself with the vehicle but at a different location.

I am 'mothballing' FS19 because as stated I do not like much about FS19 at all.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

Some of these issue being mentioned sound like the “frame grab” issue that many have encountered. It has something to do with the reflection maps I believe. One way to remedy this is to import the sea water plane into your map and ensure that it is your only main water plane (isMainWater=true).
Vanilleeis

Post by Vanilleeis »

So I've started to plan a new map recently, I began to do some new textures because i really wanted to use this new limit we have now with 255 textures. I opened the Giants Editor and started to test a bit and I was really, really confused about why the opacity function wasn't working at all. So I've searched the internet and landed on this Thread and all I have to ask is : why ? Why do one step forward but go two steps backwards ?

Without texture blending a halfway realistic look is almost impossible to get! I get the point that it saves some performance but is this really worth it ? You just can't create a transition texture for every transition you will have with a detailed map. This would mean hundreds oif hours of work and the limitation wouldn't even be enough for this if you want to use a lot of different textures. And blending doesn't look that bad compared to this hard edges on textures now. I mean you can't even brush precise now because the brush tool uses these predefined points and then you will have a spot with a 100% opacity texture if you want it or not. If you want to have a tiny bit of stone on asphalt or something you have to decicde wether you want to have etiher stone or asphalt. Thats ridiculous!

Stegei :"much more control on where to paint"
What ? Where do you have more control over that ? You DONT! You have way less control of where to paint, because you always get hard edges and have to paint on these predefined points, which just didnt existed before!

Please let us have an option to use texture blending in our maps because this is absolutely essential in my opinion! Other than that I can't even work further on maps because this is so damn frustrating to work with.
mr7green

Post by mr7green »

Totally agree on this Point - frustrating trying to create a realistic map like in the past, by lacking any blending effect or overlay of textures.
Seems to be the only solution to create some kind of individual texture with this effect, but won´t match my requirements and is not really a solution.

Very disappointing...
Vervoort

Post by Vervoort »

Hello,

I created an account on this forum so that I can express my opinion, I started to make my own map from the old FS2013, from game to game I successfully converted the map, when the new farming simulator came, I was just soo bad to convert my map, the surprise everything is a disaster in terms of textures and now theoretically I would have to redo everything. I did this but it doesn't look as good as in the other games in the Farming Simulator series, this thing has disappointed me a lot and I want to revisit the topic in the hope that something will be done about it. Thanks in advance.