[Solved] how see current farm in GE (and edit)

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
jpm1

[Solved] how see current farm in GE (and edit)

Post by jpm1 »

hello, each time i open my felsbrunn modified map in GE 8.0 i don't see my actual farm, but default one. is there a way to see my farm, with its current placeables i bought in the shop. i'd like to place few small objects (non placeable/shop buyable) around, like barrels, pallettes, with GE
Last edited by jpm1 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaseydog

Re: how see current farm in GE (and edit)

Post by chaseydog »

No, not directly. The position of placeable objects is stored in one of two places, the deafaultItems.xml in your save folder (these are the placeables you placed) or the defaultItems.xml in the maps folder (this is where the placeables that show by default are stored). None of these show up in GE as the map.i3d and the map.xml do not reference the defaultItems.xml. The way Giants gets around this limitation, and what you’re seeing in GE, are static models of the placeables that are saved to the placeholder transform. These models are in the same position on map as their placeable counterparts in the defaultItems.xml for the map (not your defaultItems in the save folder). This allows the map maker to place objects and terrain detail around the static object and then have those show up in game with the placeable. So if you want to add or move a placeable on your map and have it show up in GE you need to move the placeholder object to the same x,y,z coordinates as the placeable in the defaultItems.xml. Unfortunately the correlation between the x,y,z coordinates of the placeholder object and the x,y,z coordinates of the placeable are not direct as the placeable coordinates are relative to the center of the map while the placeholder coordinates are relative to the center of the placeholder transform. I’m still working on how to work around that limitation.
jpm1

Re: how see current farm in GE (and edit)

Post by jpm1 »

thanks a lot. actually i managed to bypass this by simply creating statics with the mods. then i pick up the coordinates in the items xml, and apply them to the statics. when i have finished, i just add a - in front of the statics Y coordinate, and done :mrgreen:
chaseydog

Re: [Solved] how see current farm in GE (and edit)

Post by chaseydog »

Are your statics in GE within the placeholder transform or are they at the top level of the scenegraph. I'm guessing that since you simply copied the coordinates from the xml they are at the top level and therefore relative to the center of the map rather than the center of the placeholder transform. I was under the impression that they needed to be in the placeholder transform if you want them to show up at level one difficulty but not 2or 3 but I may have been overthinking things
jpm1

Re: [Solved] how see current farm in GE (and edit)

Post by jpm1 »

as i said i just want to add a couple of props to my farm (pallettes, barrels etc..) nothing more. i couldn't see the placeables (store barns) as they are stored in the savegame, that GE doesn't load. but i got what i wanted. thanks a lot for your interesting input