[Request] Wilderness maps / accessable paddocks

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
FiremanDJ

[Request] Wilderness maps / accessable paddocks

Post by FiremanDJ »

G'day all.

With the new placeables and terrain terraforming game play in FS19, my ideal map is just over the horizon.
While I'm trying to learn the new map editing techniques (and acknowledging my map making skills have always been sub par), I thought I'd put a few ideas out to the community in hopes that the real modders might become inspired.

Two simple ideas which I'll explain in brief first before going into more detail.
1) Farming maps that contain few or no fields and extensive wilderness.
2) Realistic animal paddocks that are vehicle accessible.

1) Whilst today there is so much farmland and land clearing is minimal, I'd like to start a farm from nothing.
Eg, take one of the default maps, delete all but one or two small fields. Then turn the rest in to forests, rolling wild flower / grass fields with random trees etc.
Much like one of the many logging only maps, except the town, granary, port, spinnery and the rest required for farming exist in game (or exist as buyable placeables).

You start of by farming a "hobby farm" and logging, until you grow your money and clear enough land to plough in a field or two and slowly grow your farm. Clearing the map from trees, bushes etc until it's nothing but fields and pine plantations.

2) The Giants default action for animals has been to make small paddocks with no gates (at least none functional) and all tip triggers like food and water placed on the fence line accessible from outside the paddock.

In real life, that is rarely the case.
Feeders and water toughs are (in my experience) almost always in the paddock some distance away from the fence. To feed / water the animals, you need to drive into the paddock (remembering to close the gate behind you).

Manure doesn't automatically appear in a bunker / silo. It's left on the ground. Inside barns / shelters it tends to be cleaned up manually by the farmer.

Some maps in FS17 did this very well, having a thin layer of manure appearing over the full length / width of the barn / shelter where the animals could access forcing you to use a small enough machine to enter that area to clean it up and dump it elsewhere for later use.

It is still early days for FS19 modding with most maps I've seen still build around the map creator designing your farm rather then leaving the area blank, or having a simple setup of placeables that you can sell if you want to build it differently.

Fingers crossed that we will soon see some quality maps created that show off the makers skills whilst still allowing the end users freedom of choice and creativity.