Maya and skinning, problems in GE

asyvan

Maya and skinning, problems in GE

Post by asyvan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Anyone good at Maya?

I am kinda stuck, trying to make a hose that can deform when the ends move.
Example: The hoses to the hydraulic cylinders at the rear of the in-game Trailed Lifter. They bend nicely using only two visible "joints" in GE.

In Maya I create a joint chain and skin bind to the hose. This works fine, but in order for it to bend nicely many joints need to move. Not as it's intended I am sure.
In Maya I can also create a joint chain with IK handle and skin bind that to the hose. This works fine in Maya, the IK handle bends the hose nicely, but in GE it does not work at all. The IK handle does nothing.
I am thinking maybe I need to mess with Merge Groups in the exporter, but I've tried many different ways and can't get the IK handle to work.

PS: I am also a bit lost on how models that have working skinning does not seem to show all joints in GE.
//Jens Ejvinsson
Farming History: FS11, FS13, FS15, FS17, FS19 (Steam)
Using Logitech G29, Logitech/Saitek Sidepanel, Logitech F710 Wireless gamepad (Forestry/Logging)
PC Gamer - "The Silent Beast" i7-7700K @ 5Ghz, GTX 1070 @ 2.1GHz

My published ModHub mod: Case IH Puma CVX With Tracks

RB Modding

Re: Maya and skinning, problems in GE

Post by RB Modding » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:50 pm

See this tutoriol of BM Modding ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i4mbU7vMeE&t=957s ).
I use this metod for skinning in Maya and i don't have problem!
Player: FS2009-FS2011-FS2013-FS15-FS17-F19

Modding: FS15-FS17-FS19

asyvan

Re: Maya and skinning, problems in GE

Post by asyvan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:05 am

Hi
thanks for the video link.

I have gotten it to work already, what I did wrong was I made a joint chain... didn't work as expected. Tried joint chain with IK handle... didn't work at all in GE. Then tried independent joints... this worked pretty OK but not perfect. So I realized it had to do with the weights, and I adjusted it with the skin paint weight tool. Not 100% but semi-OK.

The video you linked to learned me to use the select feature (selecting vertices) of the paint tool in order to give an exact calculated value to each segment of the hose.
Thanks.
//Jens Ejvinsson
Farming History: FS11, FS13, FS15, FS17, FS19 (Steam)
Using Logitech G29, Logitech/Saitek Sidepanel, Logitech F710 Wireless gamepad (Forestry/Logging)
PC Gamer - "The Silent Beast" i7-7700K @ 5Ghz, GTX 1070 @ 2.1GHz

My published ModHub mod: Case IH Puma CVX With Tracks