Adding Dirt textures to vehicles

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Arengada

Adding Dirt textures to vehicles

Post by Arengada »

Hi there fellow Farmers,

I'm a bit annoyed at most modded cars not having dirt textures (not getting dirty essentially) and decided to try and add them myself but I haven't found any tutorials, comments or discussions on this issue. I've found fs17 tutorials but they don't apply to fs19.

Would you be so kind and point me to the right direction? Also, why is it that most car/pickup mods do not have a dirt texture? Is it difficult to add?

cheers
ar1g3

Re: Adding Dirt textures to vehicles

Post by ar1g3 »

Hi,

So dirt is added through the specular map. The model needs a specular map, and you need to edit the RGB channels of the specular map in photoshop (or something like that). The dirt is on the blue channel. You need to make a grayscale dirt map, where white = dirt and black = clean. With this map you basicaly 'paint' the splashes of dirt on your mod. You can use Google to find generic ones. You then need to copy and paste your dirt map to the blue channel of the specular map, and save the specular map.
If you google 'specular map farming simulator' you'll find a dummies.com tutorial explaining how to do this. Bear in mind this is for FS17, in FS19 the red channel doesn't define gloss but it defines wear.

Then you need to use the vehicleShader, and add this shader to the material that needs to get dirty. You do this in the i3d file, easiest way is by opening it in notepad. To see exactly how it is done you can look at the i3d file of a mod that has a dirt map and copy paste the parts you need. You need the RDT and dirtcolor lines. Open the vehicleShader xml in notepad and search for 'RDT'. You'll land on a few orange lines telling you the arguments for the RDT line. When you only add dirt the argument will be '1 0 0 0' if I remember correctly.

The final part is to add a line to the vehicle xml of your mod, with the tags <washable></washable>. You can also look at other mods xml's to see the full line that needs to be added there.

This is a very short explanation, but I hope that with this information and some studying of the different files in notepad you'll be able to figure it out.
Belgian solo mod maker
My YouTube channel - for videos of my mods
My FS Nation space - news and updates
I speak Dutch, French and English.
Arengada

Post by Arengada »

Cheers mate I really appreciate your answer! I'll give it a try!
norbix20

Post by norbix20 »

Ok but what green channel is supposed to do?
Way2drunk2walk

Post by Way2drunk2walk »

Green is for gloss
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." Samuel Houston
Farming on PC
ar1g3

Post by ar1g3 »

No, if I understand it correctly green is for AO and gloss is set by the UDIM material through the vehicleShader.
Belgian solo mod maker
My YouTube channel - for videos of my mods
My FS Nation space - news and updates
I speak Dutch, French and English.