Guide: How to add more terrain paint types in FS22

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Zelyth

Guide: How to add more terrain paint types in FS22

Post by Zelyth »

Hey folks!

I was a bit frustrated with the lack of terrain types in FS22. So I dived into the games files and added some more. Here's how to do it!

First of all, we need to get to the files. Changing these terrain types is based on the map you're using, and for this guide I'll be using one of the default FS22 maps, Elmcreek. Therefore we want to navigate to:

...SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Farming Simulator 22\data\maps\mapUS

You can change "mapUS" to "mapAlpine" or "mapFR" for the other default FS22 maps.

Open the file "map.xml" with your favorite text editor, I'll be using Notepad++. Navigate to the very bottom of the file in the "groundTypeMappings" section. You'll see all of the default terrain types, and it should look like this:

To view the types of terrains you could add, you can open "map.i3d" (which is in the same folder location as "map.xml") and find the CombinedLayer names, or you can look at the image below!

So if I wanted to add the type called GRAVELDIRT, I'm simply going to take one of the groundTypeMappings and replace the names using the same formatting. For example, I will take the line from gravel, which looks like this:

Code: Select all

<groundTypeMapping type="gravel"         title="$l10n_groundType_gravel" layer="GRAVEL" />
and change it to:

<groundTypeMapping type="gravelDirt"     title="$l10n_groundType_gravelDirt" layer="GRAVELDIRT" />
and put it right below where the line for gravel was (just because that's how they are listed in "map.i3d", how do I know if that matters or not?). Your section in "map.xml" will look like this:

Now all you need to do is save, open the game, open the map you modified, and enjoy new terrain types!

Edit: instead of putting $l10n_groundType_gravelDirt in the title="x" area, just put whatever you would like the terrain type to be called! For example:

NOTE: You should back up all your files before trying this! This method has worked for me and hasn't caused any issues, but I can't make any guarantees for you! Try at your own risk!

Enjoy!
Ben
Zelyth

Re: Guide: How to add more terrain paint types in FS22

Post by Zelyth »

Edited the end part regarding the l10n_groundtype error, figured it out!
Nova1990

Post by Nova1990 »

very nice! you should make this to a mod with all maps paints together.
I tryed to copy a whole line from map FR to map US but didnt work i got the text name and all but when i paint it it looks like animal ground. And its wrong because it should be dry grass
Nova1990

Post by Nova1990 »

forget it i got it to work =)
Zelyth

Post by Zelyth »

Nova1990 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:23 pm forget it i got it to work =)
Awesome! Glad to hear it worked!
Greg78

Post by Greg78 »

Hi Zelyth, nice tip you show here! :hi:

Do you know if it's possible to do the same with tree types? (adding US trees to FR Map? ) and for the "flowers" (on Erlengrat and Elmcreek, flowers are different than the one on the FR map...it would be so nice to have all of them ...)
Joueur FS17 sur PS4 et PC depuis juillet 2018
Joueur FS19 sur PC
"Seasons" ou ce qu'il manquait à FS19 pour m'y faire vraiment jouer
Joueur FS22 sur PC - Haut-Beyl' / Calmsden / Alex Prodeal Farm
anthu

Post by anthu »

Nice tipp.
To you maybe know how add more deko grass and other?
There are only 5 (grass + bush1-4) to paint.
Lg
Andreas
Zelyth

Post by Zelyth »

anthu wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:39 pm To you maybe know how add more deko grass and other?
Greg78 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:54 pm Do you know if it's possible to do the same with tree types? (adding US trees to FR Map? ) and for the "flowers" (on Erlengrat and Elmcreek, flowers are different than the one on the FR map...it would be so nice to have all of them ...)
Unfortunately I have no idea if either of these are possible, but I'll try to do some experimentation. My guess is that the most important things are that the trees and foliage items exist in the map.i3d and that the 3D and texture files exist somewhere in the main map folder. Maybe those items already exist for every map, I'm not certain!

The only reason I knew that adding extra paint types would work is that I could actually see those pain types on the map (for example, underneath roads and in the premade yards around the map) but they just weren't usable by the player for whatever reason. So my trick is as easy as telling the game to give access to something that already exists in the right folders, but just needed a line of code in the right place :)
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

Greg78 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:54 pm Hi Zelyth, nice tip you show here! :hi:

Do you know if it's possible to do the same with tree types? (adding US trees to FR Map? ) and for the "flowers" (on Erlengrat and Elmcreek, flowers are different than the one on the FR map...it would be so nice to have all of them ...)
Here, add to storeItrems.xml

<storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/americanElm/americanElm_stage01.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/americanElm/americanElm_stage02.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/americanElm/americanElm_stage03.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/americanElm/americanElm_stage04.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/downeyServiceBerry/downeyServiceBerry_stage01.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/downeyServiceBerry/downeyServiceBerry_stage02.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/downeyServiceBerry/downeyServiceBerry_stage03.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/pagodaDogwood/pagodaDogwood_stage01.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/pagodaDogwood/pagodaDogwood_stage02.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/pagodaDogwood/pagodaDogwood_stage03.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/shagbarkHickory/shagbarkHickory_stage01.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/shagbarkHickory/shagbarkHickory_stage02.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/shagbarkHickory/shagbarkHickory_stage03.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/shagbarkHickory/shagbarkHickory_stage04.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/birch/birch_stage01.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/birch/birch_stage02.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/birch/birch_stage03.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/birch/birch_stage04.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/birch/birch_stage05.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/oak/oak_stage01.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/oak/oak_stage02.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/oak/oak_stage03.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/willow/willow_type01.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/willow/willow_type02.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/pine/pine_stage01.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/pine/pine_stage02.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/pine/pine_stage03.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/pine/pine_stage04.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/pine/pine_stage05.xml" />
    <storeItem xmlFilename="$data/maps/trees/pine/pine_stage06.xml" />
Greg78

Post by Greg78 »

strauts6 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:37 am
Here, add to storeItrems.xml
Hi strauts6, thanks for the "trees" tip , I'll try it ASAP.
Do you know how to do the same thing with the flowers? :hmm:

Edit : same tip for the flowers, and...it worksssssss :mrgreen: *thumbsup* :hi: (made a "sample mod map" based on the map FR, and applied your tip!! Cool to have more flowers and trees)
Joueur FS19 sur PC
Greg78

Post by Greg78 »

MMm, my bad...
I've tried for flowers, but doesn't work...
I have flowers in the "construction" tool...but when i want to apply on the ground...I have the texture of cut grass...(so, I think textures are missing, and hidden somwhere in the abyss of other files....)

For trees, it seems ok.

Edit : I've found how to have the "Alpine map" flowers on the FR map (not only the icon showing in the construction tool, but also the painting of the flower working!!!)

So, in addition to the lines of the flowers in the "StoreItems", it is necessary to change the adress in the map.i3d (there's a line named "decofoliage", pointing to the foliage you want (here, it is "DecoFoliageDLC")
Didn't manage to have in the same time the "US map" flower...it's the Alpine, or the US... (didn't manage to make both work...flowers from the Alpine map are codes like 1011/0101/etc...in the decofoliage xml file...and in the US map, the "code" is not made this way...)
And don't know if in the map.i3d, i can add a line pointing to 2 decofoliage in the same time...(and if possible, which "number" the line must be...) Don't know if I'm clear (I'm frech, so explaining here in english, mmm well...) :confusednew:

I'll try to post pictures
Joueur FS19 sur PC
Zelyth

Post by Zelyth »

Greg78 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:00 pm MMm, my bad...
I've tried for flowers, but doesn't work...
I have flowers in the "construction" tool...but when i want to apply on the ground...I have the texture of cut grass...(so, I think textures are missing, and hidden somwhere in the abyss of other files....)

For trees, it seems ok.

Edit : I've found how to have the "Alpine map" flowers on the FR map (not only the icon showing in the construction tool, but also the painting of the flower working!!!)

So, in addition to the lines of the flowers in the "StoreItems", it is necessary to change the adress in the map.i3d (there's a line named "decofoliage", pointing to the foliage you want (here, it is "DecoFoliageDLC")
Didn't manage to have in the same time the "US map" flower...it's the Alpine, or the US... (didn't manage to make both work...flowers from the Alpine map are codes like 1011/0101/etc...in the decofoliage xml file...and in the US map, the "code" is not made this way...)
And don't know if in the map.i3d, i can add a line pointing to 2 decofoliage in the same time...(and if possible, which "number" the line must be...) Don't know if I'm clear (I'm frech, so explaining here in english, mmm well...) :confusednew:

I'll try to post pictures
Nice detective work there Greg!
Greg78

Post by Greg78 »

Zelyth wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:33 pm Nice detective work there Greg!
Thanks Zelyth.
After a few tries... I've failed...
I can't "combine" foliages :frown:
If I wan't to have flowers from the Alpine map on my FR map, it works, but all the grass on the FR map becomes the grass of the Alpine map... (with big leaves, and other things), so not really nice to look at...

I've tried things in the xml and other things... I must miss something somewhere... :confusednew:

So, I've abandoned the idea to try to add flowers of other maps..
Joueur FS19 sur PC
Sincx

Post by Sincx »

Awesome find this !!

Got the 5 extra textures in to paint the ground, tried all the others from the other maps but they will not show. This is as you pointed out due to the fact they are not in the id3 file I reckon.

However I did not manage to get any other trees in to be used with the landscaping tool.

Any more info how you managed to get them to show up ?

Thanks.
SimDala

Post by SimDala »

I've alsy trying to add custom trees to be available in the landscaping tool.

I've exported the corresponding i3d files and textures and everything there seems fine, but when I try to place it
with landscaping tool i get a tiny pine tree instead of the great spruce tree I was working on.

To add all the default treetypes in the game was no problem, but the custom trees seems strange.

Is there any available information/guide on how to do this?