Can I make supermarket mod from modified in-game supermarket file?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Maikerus

Can I make supermarket mod from modified in-game supermarket file?

Post by Maikerus »

Hello. For some reason Devs decided that in-game placeable supermarket won't accept chocolate. I'd like to change this and create mod file with chocolate option added. I found supermarket file in data/placeables/lizard/selling points direction and I learned that I have to add chocolate fill type which I did and it looks like this now:

<unloadTrigger exactFillRootNode="unloadTrigger" aiNode="unloadTriggerAINode" fillTypes="POTATO WOODCHIPS FLOUR SUNFLOWER_OIL CANOLA_OIL OLIVE_OIL BUTTER CHEESE SUGAR BREAD CAKE STRAWBERRY LETTUCE TOMATO GRAPE GRAPEJUICE FURNITURE CLOTHES EGG RAISINS CEREAL HONEY CHOCOLATE"/>
<fillType name="POTATO" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="WOODCHIPS" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="FLOUR" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="SUNFLOWER_OIL" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="CANOLA_OIL" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="OLIVE_OIL" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="BUTTER" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="CHEESE" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="SUGAR" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="BREAD" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="CAKE" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="STRAWBERRY" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="LETTUCE" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="TOMATO" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="GRAPE" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="GRAPEJUICE" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="FURNITURE" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="CLOTHES" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="EGG" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="RAISINS" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="CEREAL" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="HONEY" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />
<fillType name="CHOCOLATE" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="true" disablePriceDrop="false" />

What should I do next? I'm assuming that simple zip packaging of whole supermarket folder contents (xml, i3d, dds files) won't work?

Edit don_apple: topic moved from "General Discussion" to "Modding"
kahfs

Re: Can I make supermarket mod from modified in-game supermarket file?

Post by kahfs »

There is a technical aspect and a legal aspect.

From a technical point I think it should work to rezip the folder and put it back in your mod folder. Some mod-maps do a lot of priceScaling. I often set these sellPoint priceScale parameters back to 1, rezip and put it back in my mod folder. Editing a mod changes the date and time of the file. This may prevent you from playing multiplayer games and you may receive suggestions to update the mod, even if a recent mod update has not occured.

From a legal perspective it is another matter. I think it is ok to edit values in a file of a mod created by others purely for personal use. But editing a mod created by others does not make it your mod, so obviously you do not have the right to distribute a mod edited by you but created by others.

If there are diverging opinons, I hope you will hear them as well.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

For it to show up in game you will need a modDesc.xml
You can either try "New Mod from game" option in Giants Editor or take modDesc file from some other placeable sellpoint from modhub.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

strauts6 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:42 pm For it to show up in game you will need a modDesc.xml
You can either try "New Mod from game" option in Giants Editor or take modDesc file from some other placeable sellpoint from modhub.
strauts6 is right. In-game items do not have a modDesc.xml file. I recommend that you use the tool TestRunner to test the elements of modDesc.xml.

Go to Modding/Tutorials/FS22 - TestRunner Tool for Testing Mods and find the link to download TestRunner.
Place the icon on your desktop. Then drag and drop the folder with your mod onto the TestRunner icon on your desktop. It will start a console window and then open a report in a browser.

I found a few missing points in my modDesc.xml that I would never have discovered, if I had not tried TestRunner. TestRunner seems to be a bit picky, but why not do the best you can. I noticed it suggests version 64 to be the max allowed. My mod was not recognized with this version number, but it worked using version=63.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
Maikerus

Post by Maikerus »

Oh... I completely forgot about modDesc file! Thank You guys for this vital tip!