My frustration with modhub

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
JmGarcia

My frustration with modhub

Post by JmGarcia »

Well, recently I decided to publish my mods on modhub, to the surprise that from the moment you upload the mod until they review it, it can take at least a month, which I can understand, given the number of requests they can receive, I understand...

My problem is not that they take a month, my problem is that I don't know if it's favoritism or something because it can't be that my mod doesn't pass the tests for certain things and other mods have been accepted with the same failures here the tests

My mod:

They tell me that I have to improve the ground effects to fs22

I mean, okay, maybe it's not right, I started to review mods similar to mine and I didn't see anything different, so I started looking for information and they told me that this is no longer used in FS22

And one person told me that I should remove my particle animation and use this in the xml

Well, checking out a recently published mod which is where I got the references for my mod, I realized something.

If we look at this mod: https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022

We can see that both the XML and the I3D is the same as mine

I have no problems with said reference mod creator and with any other creator, I just took this reference

And if you start looking for there are many mods with the same approved effects, then it's something I don't understand

Edit don_apple: topic moved from "General Discussion" to "Modding", since it is about creating/publishing a mod on the ModHub and not about the game itself.
BulletBill

Re: My frustration with modhub

Post by BulletBill »

Unfortunately Modhub testers have never been very consistent. Despite been given assurances that things would improve for Fs22 the same inconsistencies keep on happening.
That's not to say every issue on Modhub is the testers fault, it can equally be the modders fault.

But it is extremely frustrating when you have two mods and one is failed and the other passed. Yet they both contain the same issue.

I'm all for tough testing as it discourages the stuff mods that are uploaded just for downloads and bring nothing to the game. Modhub should be about quality not quantity. But it should also be fair to all modders, there should be no favouritism or bias.

What I would recommend is raising a Modhub submission ticket and explain what you have done here in your post, obviously in a reasonable and polite manner.
I do know that Mr Marcel who is in charge of Modhub at GIANTS is trying to improve things, so the best way forward is more communication, and if you have a genuine issue he will do his best to resolve it.

Hopefully then things will improve.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

@JmGarcia: Did you check your mod with the TestRunner tool provided by GIANTS before submitting it for publication on the ModHub?

I'm no modder, but to me the sections of the XML you posted from your mod and from the other mod look different to me:
- the other mod does not have the lines with "SOIL_CHUNKS" and "SOIL_BIG_CHUNKS"
- in your "particles" sections there are two lines with "particleType=SOIL"
- the other mod has "emitCountScale" on each line in the "particles" section, which is missing on yours

Maybe changing these things in your mod will help to pass the checks to get the mod accepted on the ModHub. If that doesn't help then opening a ticket on the ModHub as BulletBill suggested is probably the best option to get clarification on what exactly needs to be changed.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
JmGarcia

Post by JmGarcia »

@don_apple Yes, several times and everything was fine.
JmGarcia

Post by JmGarcia »

don_apple wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:37 pm @JmGarcia: Did you check your mod with the TestRunner tool provided by GIANTS before submitting it for publication on the ModHub?

I'm no modder, but to me the sections of the XML you posted from your mod and from the other mod look different to me:
- the other mod does not have the lines with "SOIL_CHUNKS" and "SOIL_BIG_CHUNKS"
- in your "particles" sections there are two lines with "particleType=SOIL"
- the other mod has "emitCountScale" on each line in the "particles" section, which is missing on yours

Maybe changing these things in your mod will help to pass the checks to get the mod accepted on the ModHub. If that doesn't help then opening a ticket on the ModHub as BulletBill suggested is probably the best option to get clarification on what exactly needs to be changed.
It is true, but those are particles, not effects of the ground, in this case I have more lines because I have more particles, in this case the mod talks about the ground of the ground, it means in the particleAnimation, in this case I only have one line because I only use one effect, the other mod has 2 lines because it uses two effects, the puck effect and the plow effect
JmGarcia

Post by JmGarcia »

BulletBill wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:27 pm Unfortunately Modhub testers have never been very consistent. Despite been given assurances that things would improve for Fs22 the same inconsistencies keep on happening.
That's not to say every issue on Modhub is the testers fault, it can equally be the modders fault.

But it is extremely frustrating when you have two mods and one is failed and the other passed. Yet they both contain the same issue.

I'm all for tough testing as it discourages the stuff mods that are uploaded just for downloads and bring nothing to the game. Modhub should be about quality not quantity. But it should also be fair to all modders, there should be no favouritism or bias.

What I would recommend is raising a Modhub submission ticket and explain what you have done here in your post, obviously in a reasonable and polite manner.
I do know that Mr Marcel who is in charge of Modhub at GIANTS is trying to improve things, so the best way forward is more communication, and if you have a genuine issue he will do his best to resolve it.

Hopefully then things will improve.
Clearly, that's my case, I saw mods with that and I think okay, well I do it the same because it has been approved so it would be fine, if I said that everyone is fine by fs22 standards, I'll fix it and that's it, but let's see approved mods with the same problem I think or that it was a mistake and they unintentionally approved it or something happens

I am also in favor of passing hard tests and the mods must have quality, but that it be the same for everyone
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

The ModHub submission process is long and frustrating. But I imagine the reviewers have it just as hard on the other side. They have a huge backlog of mods and have to look at a hundred things in each mod. I know it feels personal or favoritism, but it is probably just inconsistent quality control. To be fair, the same thing happened to me, and it is very annoying. Very annoying.

Did you find a base game plow that uses that type of effect? Most plows in FS22 use Arrays, not the mesh animations from FS19 (or whatever they're called). If another mod snuck through the cracks, that doesn't mean the rest of mods should also.
JmGarcia

Post by JmGarcia »

@Dogface It doesn't bother me that it takes a month, since I understand that they have many mods to review and in each mod review many things, but I think you have to be fair when reviewing the mods, I know a modder who uploaded the mod for review and after 3 days it was approved, I will not say name

On the subject of a plow from the base game no, they don't have that kind of effect, I only took a mod from modhub since clearly modders usually improve mods and since I saw several, not just 1, but many with that effect, I thought that would still be valid

I think it's normal, if 20 approved mods with the same effects you would think it would work
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

3 DAYS! Okay, maybe there is favoritism. :lol:

Oh, if there is more than one or two mods using the old method then you have a point.
JmGarcia

Post by JmGarcia »

If you start to look at the mods you will realize that it is not only 1 or 2, I have come to find more than 5

Before making this post I have made sure of the same thing, I do not like to talk about things if it is not true
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

It's favoritism for sure! I had submitted something not long after release and was told it needed more functionality. Two months later the same exact thing that I submitted got published with the same functionality as mine. Lol
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
JmGarcia

Post by JmGarcia »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:09 am It's favoritism for sure! I had submitted something not long after release and was told it needed more functionality. Two months later the same exact thing that I submitted got published with the same functionality as mine. Lol
Well sure yes...

If it weren't for the fact that console mods require being on modhub, believe me, I would upload my mods to external pages, they take less time to approve the mods and everything goes much faster...

I understand that they have to test the mods to find bugs, but damn, when are there testers, 3 testers? I myself have only gotten to try 30 mods in one day full testing