Getting permissions to use mod on a new map.

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
HillyFarms

Getting permissions to use mod on a new map.

Post by HillyFarms »

I'm building 4km map based on a real location with a real DEM etc. It's looking good. BUT I'm using a ton of placeable Mods from modhub. I'm worried that I'll finish the map but not get permissions to use other people's mods. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm going to create a Credits board around the PDA and I'm happy to give credit everywhere to everyone. Seperate question... Do I still need to get permission if I don't build the mod into the map but make it a 'required' mod that automatically downloads from the modhub when the map downloads?
Dogface

Re: Getting permissions to use mod on a new map.

Post by Dogface »

HillyFarms wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:58 pm I'm building 4km map based on a real location with a real DEM etc. It's looking good. BUT I'm using a ton of placeable Mods from modhub. I'm worried that I'll finish the map but not get permissions to use other people's mods. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm going to create a Credits board around the PDA and I'm happy to give credit everywhere to everyone. Seperate question... Do I still need to get permission if I don't build the mod into the map but make it a 'required' mod that automatically downloads from the modhub when the map downloads?
If it downloads separately from the ModHub, I don't see the problem. In fact, modders would love that. They are getting more downloads.

It would be a problem if you used their Placeables as a PreFab. Incorporating their mod inside your map.
HillyFarms

Post by HillyFarms »

That's exactly what I thought... next Q. How do I set them up as required mods for the map?
I poked around inside Gelderland, which has required mods, and it seems to me that the placeables are loaded from the map data folders via the placeables.xml. It doesn't look like they are loaded from the mod folder. This is probably a nooby question but I can't find much on it.
JMGaming_

Post by JMGaming_ »

Hello,

Just add a section in your modDesc.xml file :

Exemple :

<dependencies>
<dependency>FS22_1970sCowshed</dependency>
</dependencies>

That's all
HillyFarms

Post by HillyFarms »

Oh, thanks. I'll look into dependencies. I think I have it working using $moddir$ instead of $mapdir$ in the placeables.xml. I stumbled across that when adding fences in-game and copying them out of the saves placeables.xml.