Gears, gears, gears...

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
gile

Gears, gears, gears...

Post by gile »

Hi.
With FS19 and VCA mod it was very simple tu change gearboxes on all vehicles. I contacted Mogli, the creator of VCA mod for FS22 aswell, but he responded that vanilla FS 22 already has gerboxes, so he wont do it with VCA for FS22. In regards to his work, I respect his decision and dont want to bother him anymore.
So I tried fidling and copiing files and lines in .xml files in what I thougt was right, but it didnt work, no mather what I did.

Now, can someone explain how I could put... say a 4x4 powersift gearbox on a tractor with vario transmision? Or beter yet, can someone make a mod that would do that?

Thanks to any modder ready to tackle this.
Eddfaf

Re: Gears, gears, gears...

Post by Eddfaf »

Do you mean you want someone to write a lua script so that you could have the ability to modify every vehicle you buy from the shop? I mean that sounds like a lot of work considering that every vehicle would need to have customised ratios etc.

Couldn't you just alter the vehicle XML so that you add non-standard gearbox options? I mean that's what I do.
Fair warning it can be difficult to find the data on gearbox ratios, in fact some of them I just gave up on and used existing ratios that Giants implemented
gile

Post by gile »

Yeah, writing a lua script, that would be great...
Altering the XML files: I tried that...and failed. Could you show me what to alter in the files? Lets say I want a tractor with a gearbox from Steyr 8150?
Eddfaf

Post by Eddfaf »

Literally you want to transfer the <transmission> </transmission> part from the steyr to the new tractor

So the Steyr for example, this is the motorized portion of the Steyr 8150 from the base game XML file:

<motorized>
<consumerConfigurations>
<consumerConfiguration>
<consumer fillUnitIndex="1" usage="42" fillType="diesel" /> <!-- usage is per hour at max load and max rpm -->
<consumer fillUnitIndex="2" usage="200" fillType="air" permanentConsumption="false" refillLitersPerSecond="250" refillCapacityPercentage="0.5" /> <!-- usage per second at full brake power -->
</consumerConfiguration>
</consumerConfigurations>

<differentialConfigurations>
<differentialConfiguration>
<differentials>
<differential torqueRatio="0.5" maxSpeedRatio="1.8" wheelIndex1="1" wheelIndex2="2" /> <!-- front left-right -->
<differential torqueRatio="0.5" maxSpeedRatio="1.8" wheelIndex1="3" wheelIndex2="4" /> <!-- back left-right -->
<differential torqueRatio="0.5" maxSpeedRatio="1.8" differentialIndex1="1" differentialIndex2="2" /> <!-- front-back -->
</differentials>
</differentialConfiguration>
</differentialConfigurations>

<motorConfigurations>
<motorConfiguration name="8150" hp="135" price="0">
<motor torqueScale="0.572" minRpm="850" maxRpm="2200" maxForwardSpeed="41" maxBackwardSpeed="20" brakeForce="5" lowBrakeForceScale="0.2" dampingRateScale="0.5">
<torque normRpm="0.45" torque="0.9"/>
<torque normRpm="0.5" torque="0.97"/>
<torque normRpm="0.59" torque="1"/>
<torque normRpm="0.72" torque="1"/>
<torque normRpm="0.86" torque="0.88"/>
<torque normRpm="1" torque="0.72"/>
</motor>
<transmission autoGearChangeTime="0.5" gearChangeTime="0.4" name="$l10n_info_transmission_manual">
<directionChange useGroup="true" reverseGroupIndex="1" changeTime="0.5"/>
<groups type="DEFAULT" changeTime="0.5">
<group ratio="-0.4834" name="R" />
<group ratio="0.2751" name="L" />
<group ratio="0.4579" name="M" />
<group ratio="1" name="S" isDefault="true"/>
</groups>

<forwardGear gearRatio="56.98" />
<forwardGear gearRatio="40.58" />
<forwardGear gearRatio="29.46" />
<forwardGear gearRatio="20.25" />
</transmission>
</motorConfiguration>
</motorConfigurations>

<gearLevers>
<gearLever node="gearGroupLever" centerAxis="3" changeTime="0.4" handsOnDelay="0.25">
<state group="0" xRot="0" zRot="0" />
<state group="1" xRot="-4" zRot="-4" />
<state group="2" xRot="-4" zRot="4" />
<state group="3" xRot="4" zRot="-4" />
<state group="4" xRot="4" zRot="4" />
</gearLever>

<gearLever node="gearLever" changeTime="0.4" handsOnDelay="0.25">
<state gear="0" xRot="0" />
<state gear="1" xRot="4" />
<state gear="2" xRot="8" />
<state gear="3" xRot="12" />
<state gear="4" xRot="16" />
</gearLever>
</gearLevers>

<exhaustFlap node="exhaustFlap" maxRot="90" />

<exhaustEffects>
<exhaustEffect node="exhaustParticle1" filename="$data/effects/exhaust/exhaust.i3d" minRpmColor="0.9 0.9 0.9 0.1" maxRpmColor="0.9 0.9 0.9 0.4" minRpmScale="0.05" maxRpmScale="0.5" />
</exhaustEffects>

<motorStartDuration>3000</motorStartDuration>

<dashboards>
<dashboard displayType="ROT" valueType="clutchPedal" node="pedalClutch" minRot="0 0 0" maxRot="-20 0 0" doInterpolation="true" groups="MOTOR_ACTIVE"/>
<dashboard displayType="ANIMATION" valueType="motorTemperature" animName="loadingBarTemperature" minValueAnim="20" maxValueAnim="120" groups="MOTOR_ACTIVE"/>
<dashboard displayType="ANIMATION" valueType="rpm" animName="loadingBarRPM" minValueAnim="500" maxValueAnim="2200" groups="MOTOR_ACTIVE"/>
</dashboards>
</motorized>

So you'll want to copy the transmission portion:

<transmission autoGearChangeTime="0.5" gearChangeTime="0.4" name="$l10n_info_transmission_manual">
<directionChange useGroup="true" reverseGroupIndex="1" changeTime="0.5"/>
<groups type="DEFAULT" changeTime="0.5">
<group ratio="-0.4834" name="R" />
<group ratio="0.2751" name="L" />
<group ratio="0.4579" name="M" />
<group ratio="1" name="S" isDefault="true"/>
</groups>

<forwardGear gearRatio="56.98" />
<forwardGear gearRatio="40.58" />
<forwardGear gearRatio="29.46" />
<forwardGear gearRatio="20.25" />
</transmission>

and paste that into the transmission portion of the tractor you want to modify, overwriting whatever is there originally.

As for the <gearLevers> part, this basically makes the gearlever animation sync to whatever gear you're in. I don't bother copying this over, as if you're editing a tractor that has a CVT transmission there won't be any gear levers to animate.
That's how I do it anyway. It's a bit of a bodge and it can take a long time. For example I'm currently trying to edit the Volvo FH16 730 pack with real-world values for the engines and transmissions and i've been at it for the past 3 days.

Hope this helps, although I will add a huge caveat, I'm not really much of a modder. I just edit mod xml's to try and make them more inline with what I think are real-world values.
gile

Post by gile »

Tnx man, I will try that in the evening and report back how it works. Please, stay tuned in case I need some more help.
gile

Post by gile »

It worked, thanks Eddfaf *thumbsup*