Crawlers not steering properly

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Dakota5488

Crawlers not steering properly

Post by Dakota5488 »

I'm once again having trouble with tracks, after experimenting on a 4755 i wanted to recreate a deere i saw at my local dealer (8210 with Saucy tracks), i did get the tracks successfully in the game but when i steer they dont exactly do what they're supposed to do, the front wheels steer only very slightly and in the wrong direction, and the left rear wheel does this

I've attached the XML below, help would be appreciated
Attachments
JohnDeere8000.xml
(269.22 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Eische

Re: Crawlers not steering properly

Post by Eische »

Seems to be a problem with ackermann steering setup. With the crawler setup, there is one additional virtual wheel per crawler, so there are 8 wheel definitions instead of only 4 for tires.
The ackermann steering needs a point for rotation. For front steering vehicles this center of rotation is exactly half way between the rear wheels. Typically it is defined indirectly using the wheel nodes of the rear axle. The game will calculate the midpoint on its own. This is the case for your tractor as well. It also has two steering setups defined:

Code: Select all

<ackermannSteeringConfigurations>
            <ackermannSteering rotSpeed="40" rotMax="32" rotCenterWheel1="3" rotCenterWheel2="4"/>
            <ackermannSteering rotSpeed="40" rotMax="27" rotCenterWheel1="3" rotCenterWheel2="4" />
        </ackermannSteeringConfigurations>
If you check your different wheelconfigs you will notice this line:

<wheels autoRotateBackSpeed="2.2" ackermannSteeringIndex="2">
on some setups...typically for duals. This tells the game to use the second ackermannSteering definition which has a smaller steering angle with 27 degrees. If the line is not there, the game will use the first one by default.
Right now the center of rotation is somewhere between node crawlerFrontRight (wheel 3) and wheelFrontRight4 (wheel 4).

If you don't want to change the i3d file, you can add a third line to the ackermannSteering definition so that the block looks like this:

<ackermannSteeringConfigurations>
            <ackermannSteering rotSpeed="40" rotMax="32" rotCenterWheel1="3" rotCenterWheel2="4"/>
            <ackermannSteering rotSpeed="40" rotMax="27" rotCenterWheel1="3" rotCenterWheel2="4" />
            <ackermannSteering rotSpeed="40" rotMax="27" rotCenterWheel1="5" rotCenterWheel2="7" />
        </ackermannSteeringConfigurations>
And in your crawlerconfig you replace this line:

<wheels autoRotateBackSpeed="2.2">
with this line:

<wheels autoRotateBackSpeed="2.2" ackermannSteeringIndex="3">
You might want to play around with the rotMax value to get the steering angle adjusted properly so that the tracks do not penetrate into the chassis.

That should work based on my best guess. If it not works, check the xml of the 8RX for reference. In this tractor you will find that the steering center for rotation is defined directly with a dedicated node. But above solution should work.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
Dakota5488

Re: Crawlers not steering properly

Post by Dakota5488 »

Thank you that fixed it
Eische