Thinking about starting modding for my son

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
twometresteve

Thinking about starting modding for my son

Post by twometresteve »

Hi all,

Is it possible to mod existing mods? E.g. if you just wanted to change something basic about it for your own use?

Also, how technical is modding? I'm a professional software engineer, so not afraid of coding - just curious how codey it is. Is it a mixture of code, artistry and point & click, a bit like Unity perhaps?

Many thanks!

2m Steve.
Dogface

Re: Thinking about starting modding for my son

Post by Dogface »

If you mod someone else's mod (not counting GIANTS mods), you should not post it online without their permission. But it is fine to use on your own computer.

How technical depends on what you want to do. The only thing close to coding would be making scripts. Mostly modding is XML editing, 3D modeling or Giants Editor editing.

What sort of things did you want to do?
twometresteve

Post by twometresteve »

Thanks for the reply...

My initial thinking ties in with a problem my son is having - not being able to open doors/gates (despite having tried several things).

I was simply going to remove a few gates from maps that he would otherwise love. Possibly a sledgehammer-to-a-nut, but that's fine!
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Cool. Yeah, modding starts with the desire to fix something like that. Then once you realize what you can do, you start modding more things.

I don't do map modding, but post that a separate thread and someone is sure to have advice.

You are going to need the Giants Editor for that btw. and maybe Notepad++

register then Downloads
https://gdn.giants-software.com/index.php
Angler1409

Post by Angler1409 »

There is a video by Youtuber Scroft where he showed how he removed a gate and fencing on Calmsden Farm map.
Will not be exactly applicable to what map you would be editing but may give you an insight on how it is done
Ziuta Modding

Post by Ziuta Modding »

Opening doors and windows is quite a challenge if the author of the model did not separate them in the modeling process, GE does not allow you to edit the model, and the I3D format only supports GE (you can export the model to OBJ but you lose virtually all functions from the finished I3D)