weight file "doesn't match the image properties" error

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
JacerShepherd

weight file "doesn't match the image properties" error

Post by JacerShepherd »

Trying to help a fellow map maker with this error:
maps/mapUS/data/dirtDark02_weight.png' doesn't match the image properties of the other layers

I tried paint.net , copying the contents of dark02 over the top of dark01 and saving. Saved both as 8-bit perceptual and 8-bit linear. Neither worked. I assumed dark01 was a "good file", but just to be sure, I also used dirt01 as a "golden file". I was hoping paint.net would be the least invasive of the editors.

I tried the same technique in GIMP. I tried "overwrite existing" hoping it would keep the "good file" formatting. It apparently did not.

In GIMP also tried export as 8bpc Gray ... Also did not work, but there are many variations to the settings for this option. I tried almost all, and failed.

Any suggestions?
TheSuBBie

Re: weight file "doesn't match the image properties" error

Post by TheSuBBie »

Simple answer -- copy/paste an exsiting weight.png file and rename

To my knowledge paint.net has never saved a .png as greyscale only saves it as an indexed colour which will create the error you have indicated, Gimp however should have saved it as greyscale providung the correct Image-Mode was selected before exporting
JacerShepherd

Post by JacerShepherd »

Agreed if starting a new map, one would just do the windows copy/paste/rename.
Unfortunately he is a ways into development before he attempted an error free map.

These are the settings I have boiled it down to for GIMP "Export As"
Would you please check against your export settings?
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

From what you have just said it would appear that it is not a new weight file but one already filled with data, that must have worked before and has somehow become corrupt after saving.

I have just tried with the same export settings as you (admittedly with a new weight file created in Gimp) and have no errors, though normally I deselect all options in the exporter settings and leave just the 8bpc GRAY