2D View in Giants Editor?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Faelandaea

2D View in Giants Editor?

Post by Faelandaea »

One thing I love when trying to precision line something up in Blender or any other 3D program out there is the ability to go into 2D view, making it so we can see the top, side, front or back of a vehicle or object and line up something perfectly. Looking at the key bindings in Giants Editor, it appears to be that you cannot do that in this editor? Is that the case or am I missing something?

I've never really given it much thought, since Giants Editor is such a simplistic and thrown together editor, but lately when adding Spot Spray to vehicles, the inability for me to be in 2D mode to precisely place the nozzles has become much more prominent, so I am hoping someone can point me to a way to do a 2D view for this.

Thanks for any help.
Faelandaea Dravin
Acknowledged as THE friendliest individual on the internet throughout all of gaming history.
TheSuBBie

Re: 2D View in Giants Editor?

Post by TheSuBBie »

One way of doing it would be to create a camera, call it CameraZ cut paste it into the transform/object you are working on and set it up as an Orthographic Camera.

your distance too and from the object can be adjusted by the Ortho Height value
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

When I have this problem, sometimes I can place it in Blender then export it to GE.
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

TheSuBBie wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:32 pm One way of doing it would be to create a camera, call it CameraZ cut paste it into the transform/object you are working on and set it up as an Orthographic Camera.

your distance too and from the object can be adjusted by the Ortho Height value
I am going to try that right now. If it is like your screenshot this is a life saver!

EDIT: Hmmm. It seems to try to do 2D, but once I create such a cam and switch my view to it I cannot seem to find anything on the screen. Everything disappears, even if I rotate the camera in all directions to try to find the object.
Dogface wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:20 pm When I have this problem, sometimes I can place it in Blender then export it to GE.
Unfortunately that doesn't work for nodes. Only physical objects can be edited in Blender. What I am editing are the nodes for Precision farming spot spraying. Importing them and trying to place them on the nozzles.
Faelandaea Dravin
Acknowledged as THE friendliest individual on the internet throughout all of gaming history.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Set the Z translation to 1 and adjust the distance to the object using the Orthographic Height.
For all other views rotate camera on the Y axis (x if you want top Bottom) by 90 reset Z translation to 0 and set new X translation to 1.

Or simply add and set up another camera on a different axis
Last edited by TheSuBBie on Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Couldn'y you export the nodes as a Empty--plain axis, aligned to the sprayer nozzles in blender to i3d, this would mean the nodes would appear at the nozzles in GE as empty transforms

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

TheSuBBie wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:28 pm Set the Z translation to 1 and adjust the distance to the object using the Orthographic Height.
For all other views rotate camera on the Y axis (x if you want top Bottom) by 90 reset Z translation to 0 and set new X translation to 1
Cooool. Nice trick, thanks.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Faelandaea wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:58 pm Unfortunately that doesn't work for nodes. Only physical objects can be edited in Blender. What I am editing are the nodes for Precision farming spot spraying. Importing them and trying to place them on the nozzles.
Yeah no, TheSuBBie explained what I meant.

You can't export a tranform group to Blender. But you can export the model to Blender, then place Empties in Blender (an Empty is a non-dimensional point). And you can export Empties to GE where they are transform groups.

Object Mode
Add >> Empty >> Plain Axes
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

Yup have to use Blender is the final answer basically. Tried that camera trick and it is a no joy. The moment I do it, no matter what translations I use the physical scene disappears and I see nothing on my screen. Oh well, thank you both so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

I was just trying to save extra steps as I do not believe I should have to be using Blender for any of my modding in Farming Simulator (since I do not make models from scratch for any game except Truck Simulator. All I do in FS22 is add already existing things to other things). Fortunately I have sort of gotten the hang of placing the nodes today as I made a tutorial video on how to do Spot Spray easily on any and all sprayers. I got through it, so i guess that counts for something, right? LOL
Faelandaea Dravin
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Have you tried selecting the persp camera view and positioning your new camera to the object that way as it sounds like your camera is inside the object.
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

Sorry for the late reply. I am a truck driver so I have to drop everything for weeks to go earn a paycheck.

I have tried moving the camera so it is outside the object. It is a vehicle I am using so there is indoor camera, outdoor camera, and then of course my camera I create for editing because it is VERY bad for to EVER move a vehicle camera around for editing (because it also messes that camera up in game).
Faelandaea Dravin