Can someone point me to the right place in the xml please?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
TheGazbeard

Can someone point me to the right place in the xml please?

Post by TheGazbeard »

Hi guys

I'm planning out a mod conversion (to-from an FS22 mod) to add more functionality to a piece of equipment. Essentially it's a square baler that I want to add bale wrapping to. The equipment chosen doesn't need an external rotary for wrapping (like the Kuhn 4014) as the baler is big enough to "hide" the wrapping mechanism inside itself.

This means I only need to add another bale output and drop type - i.e. wrapped or sileage.

In FS19 this would have been fairly easy as you had an xml section where you identified the bale types outputted (best word I can think of).
In FS22 I can find the "filltypes" and "baletypes" sections, but they do not describe the fill of the output bales - they detail the filltype that the baler pickup picks up, and the sizes of the bales - not what is in the bales (i.e. grass_windrow, drygrass_windrow, straw, sileage).

Does anyone know how and where I add the bale type "wrapped" or "sileage" (or appropriate equivalent) to the xml so that the baler can output those bale types and they can be selected in the F1 menu in the HUD?

Thanks in advance.
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard
Dogface

Re: Can someone point me to the right place in the xml please?

Post by Dogface »

Have you tried adding a simplified <baleWrapper> section?
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

Not tried it yet - have my mind fixated on needing to point at a wrapped texture .dds and so on.
I may be wrong to do so, but can't shake the feeling that it needs included.
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

Dogface wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:31 pm Have you tried adding a simplified <baleWrapper> section?
OK, so I tried adding this ...

Code: Select all

<baleWrapper>
	    <squareBaleWrapper unloadBaleText="$l10n_action_unloadSquareBale">
           <baleTypes>
                <baleType width="1.2" height="0.9" length="1.8">
                    <textures diffuse="$data/vehicles/kuhn/sw4014/sw4014BaleWrapSquare180_diffuse.dds"
                              normal="$data/vehicles/kuhn/sw4014/sw4014BaleWrapSquare180_normal.dds"/>
                </baleType>
                <baleType width="1.2" height="0.9" length="2.2">
                    <textures diffuse="$data/vehicles/kuhn/sw4014/sw4014BaleWrapSquare220_diffuse.dds"
                              normal="$data/vehicles/kuhn/sw4014/sw4014BaleWrapSquare220_normal.dds"/>
                </baleType>
            </baleTypes>
        </squareBaleWrapper>		
    </baleWrapper>	
It is in the xml for the baler immediately after the <baler> </baler> section.

The baler works in-game (picking up windrowed grass is all I tried) but there is no F1 menu option for toggling on/off the wrapping, and using the L option for choosing bale size does not rotate the type to show/indicate the wrapped sizes
  • unwrapped = 180, 220, 240
    wrapped = 180, 220
as per the Kuhn SW4014 sizes.

Now I'm kinda stumped because even in the vanilla game baler/wrapper xml files I see no specific call to start/stop wrapping.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

I thought you just wanted to unload a wrapped bale. Is your modded baler unloading a wrapped bale?
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

Dogface wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:55 am I thought you just wanted to unload a wrapped bale. Is your modded baler unloading a wrapped bale?
Yes - unloading a wrapped bale from the baler is what I'm trying to achieve. The baler is enclosed and bulky enough to "fake" having a wrapper internally.

The bale currently unloading is not wrapped - it is just a normal grass bale. There is no option in the F1 menu to switch from unwrapped to wrapped bale and vice versa. I'm working on the assumption that because there is no option to switch on wrapping, only the 3 normal bale fills (not wrapped) will output according to what is picked up as fill-type.

I want the baler to do all 4 types of bale = grass, hay, straw, sileage(wrapped). This is the main priority. To do sileage, I'm assuming that wrapping needs to be able to be turned on and off. When it is turned on, wrapped bales are ejected. When it is off, normal not-wrapped bales are ejected.

Secondary priority is to retain the 3 sizes for grass, hay, and straw, while adding the 2 game-default sizes for sileage(wrapped).

I was hoping that just adding the <balewrapper> section quoted would pull from vanilla game code somewhere and add the wrapping on/off option to the F1 menu. Obviously it didn't. Now I'm stumped again.

(I'm not a coder, but can put hacks in place if pointed in the right direction - it's how I learned html and php for website building).
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Someone else asked about turning a wrapper off and on. I looked into it but couldn't get it to work. Are there any baler-wrappers that have a wrapper that can be turned on and off?
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

Yes, all existing (round-bale) baler-wrappers can have wrapping turned on and off - it's mainly used when lifting grass and you want either grass or sileage bales. Also the mod baler-wrappers, such as the Vicon Fastbale and Poettinger Impress can do it too.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

TheGazbeard wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:59 pm Yes, all existing (round-bale) baler-wrappers can have wrapping turned on and off - it's mainly used when lifting grass and you want either grass or sileage bales. Also the mod baler-wrappers, such as the Vicon Fastbale and Poettinger Impress can do it too.
I have the Vicon Fastbale and Poettinger Impress, and I do not see anything in the F1 menu about turning the wrapper off. Could you explain how that is done.
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

You're right - I can't see an on/off for balewrapping either ... I must have got confused with the manual/auto drop bale function.

However, that brings me to another problem (and another reason to have the wrapper on/off function) ... as the attached screenshot shows - the 3 sizes of bales from the vanilla game Poettinger Impress 185 on the right, and the 3 sizes from the baler I am trying to mod on the left. There is no way to turn off wrapping, which means grass baling in the smaller sizes is not possible - e.g. for sheep or cow feed.

The original problem remains - how to activate/integrate bale wrapping in the square baler (without the mechanical wrapper attached on the back end)?
The secondary problem now emerges - how to turn bale wrapping into an optional action on all baler/wrappers?

Third problem - why does this stupid gimped forum not accept jpg files at web compression sizes?
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

TheGazbeard wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:49 am OK, so I tried adding this ...

It is in the xml for the baler immediately after the <baler> </baler> section.
Did you get any error messages from the mod?

Did you change <vehicle type to balerWrapper?
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

Thanks for continuing to discuss this.

Based on what I saw in the xml of another piece of equipment (forgotten which) I used dual vehicle type - one line for a vehicle type of baler and another for a vehicle type of balewrapper.

The problem of using only balewrapper is that it would make the baler behave like a Kuhn 4014 - only wrapping bales and not packing them for the other three filltypes (grass, hay, and straw).

I do wish GIANTS would read their own forums and one of the devs would respond here now and again.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

TheGazbeard wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:06 am Based on what I saw in the xml of another piece of equipment (forgotten which) I used dual vehicle type - one line for a vehicle type of baler and another for a vehicle type of balewrapper.

The problem of using only balewrapper is that it would make the baler behave like a Kuhn 4014 - only wrapping bales and not packing them for the other three filltypes (grass, hay, and straw).
The Vicon FastBale (Giants mod) uses:

<vehicle type="balerWrapper" 
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

That might be significant (thanks for the nudge) - I have this ...

<functions>
            <function>$l10n_function_baler</function>
            <function>$l10n_function_baleWrapper</function>			
        </functions>
but there is also this further down the file ...

<base>
        <typeDesc>$l10n_typeDesc_baler</typeDesc>
        etc.
    </base>
The " <vehicle type> " entry is at line 1 in the xml and uses the name of the vehicle, not the vehicle type - this is what threw me I think.

I'll have a play with it this weekend and see how I get on.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

<functions> and <typeDesc> are just the text descriptions in the game UI.