CPU or GPU intensive?

BreadedVirus

CPU or GPU intensive?

Post by BreadedVirus »

Interested to know if the FS series is more CPU or GPU intensive?

I know that a well paired CPU and GPU works wonders, but which one is better for the game?
the big print giveth the small print taketh
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Re: CPU or GPU intensive?

Post by Stegei »

That really depends on your play style. You can easily get to the limit of a 1080Ti when maxing out all settings, with 8xMSAA and 4k resolution.
But usually, the single core performance of the CPU is the liming factor with more advanced gameplay, when many vehicles and helpers are active, with many bales and trees.

The GPU requirements can be scaled quite well (reducing resolution, msaa, shadow quality etc.) while the CPU requirements don't scale that well (e.g. we can't change how demanding the helpers or the physics are).

So for smooth gameplay in Farming Simulator, I'd generally recommend to go with a good CPU, mostly focused on the single core performance. So it's better to have a higher frequency 4 core CPU than a lower clocked 8 core CPU. The GPU can be chosen based on your budget and the preference of graphics settings (but you will find smoothly running graphics settings for a mid-range GPU as well).
fcdrifter13

Re: CPU or GPU intensive?

Post by fcdrifter13 »

I have ryzen 1700 clocked to 3.7, and i can honestly say that it is not the best for FS17, I have a lot of framerate issues because it is very single core reliant and I have trouble with maps that use a lot of scripts, the advanced AI mod, too many vehicles, too many workers, or too many physics objects like trees and bales. For a point of reference my old CPU, an intel i5 4440 was better at playing the game, but I could not create the content that I do with it so it was a tradeoff.
Survival Start of The Calm Lands. Currently have built homes for our workers, so we actually get workers.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H-DmlmlDQT