Micro Studder ... at higher screen settings than 60Hz

W1der

Micro Studder ... at higher screen settings than 60Hz

Post by W1der »

I have been playing around with the settings in the Nvidia control panel ... and noticed that if I change the Hz to anything higher than 60Hz ...
Every two seconds or so I get "micro studder" (in FS17) ... it is especially noticeable when using the external camera to pan around a vehicle.
FPS is solid at 60 though ... so it is not "frame drops" I am looking at.

I thought I should share this, as I recall reading that someone else noticed this issue before.

My screen supports 144Hz and I imagine that using the highest setting should provide the best "quality" ...
However ... I struggle to see any noticeable difference besides from the issue above ... :confusednew:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Shuffy

Re: Micro Studder ... at higher screen settings than 60Hz

Post by Shuffy »

could be the frame rate cap try unlocking the frame rate also try with vsync off i dont suffer much tearing also check triple buffering is off i also had this wierd shader issue if it was on medium it would lag try having it on high or very high if you can .
Borealis

Post by Borealis »

FS17 isn't designed to run at a frame rate higher than 60FPS.
Stegei wrote:
Farming Simulator 17 does not support more than 60fps (disabling the framerate limiter is only for development/testing purposes), we'll however keep this on our list of features for future versions.
viewtopic.php?f=920&t=107841&start=15

You can disable the FPS limiter using the dev console but it can have unpredictable results. I found that with the limiter unlocked, vehicles started acting wonky at times. Particularly when ploughing/seeding!
W1der

Post by W1der »

I already tested this (pressing alt+F3) ... and saw the FPS go upp to 80-100... but with the same studder.
With the screen at 60Hz the FPS never go above 60 FPS and it is running smooth ...
The thing I find "strange" is that this is occurring every two seconds ... like a "clock".

Vsync off gives me tearing.

Triple buffering is unexplored though ...

I run with my settings on the highest possible all over.

For FS17 I am fine with running my screen at 60Hz as this gives me the best experience.
However ... other programs might "benefit" from running it at a higher setting ... !?

As of now I am super happy with my settings ... my game is looking and performing better than ever ...
Just wanted to share this, if others has the same problem.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Borealis

Post by Borealis »

Other programs will benefit from an increased refresh rate if they support it. Like you, I'm happy with the settings I'm on at the moment.
DukaSoft

Post by DukaSoft »

Only issue with running above 60 fps is animal animations as far as i'm aware
i've been running 120 fps from game launch untill now (120hz monitor)

According to Giants Q&A
There's no bigger issues as long as your hardware can handle it.
So running at 60 fps+ is not gonna break anything critical
PC User
Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @4.00Ghz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
16GB - 2133MHz RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
W1der

Post by W1der »

DukaSoft wrote:Only issue with running above 60 fps is animal animations as far as i'm aware
i've been running 120 fps from game launch untill now (120hz monitor)

According to Giants Q&A
There's no bigger issues as long as your hardware can handle it.
So running at 60 fps+ is not gonna break anything critical
I got a 27" screen, running the game at the highest settings ... and as I use a joystick (usually very smooth) to pan the camera, the studder is noticeable ...
It´s not by very much and I did not see it for a long time ... but now when I noticed it I can not stand it ... but I am fine running my screen at 60Hz as I basically got this rig only for FS17 and the few other games I play looks ok at 60Hz also. *thumbsup*