Types of controllers question.

Farmer D

Types of controllers question.

Post by Farmer D »

Hi,
New here, and waiting for my FS17 software to arrive. I also purchased FS15 to give to my 10 year old grandson. I have a CH Pro yoke and pedals, which I'm hoping will work. What kind of controllers will work, so that I know what I need to get my grandson set up? This will be a Christmas gift for him, and he lives 5 hours away from me.
I want to be sure that he has a controller that will work.

Thanks!

P. S.-I did do a search of the forums, but didn't find a specific answer.

Darrell
Angryfarmer

Re: Types of controllers question.

Post by Angryfarmer »

Easiest is an Xbox controller
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

Farmer D, welcome to the forum!

In order to be able to provide some guidance here please let us know which platform your grandson will play the game on. Windows? Mac OS X? Xbox? Playstation?
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
W1der

Post by W1der »

Based on the controllers you mentioned I am guessing this is for a "PC".

Generally (might be helpful for others also) ...

Some is fine with playing this game using keyboard and mouse only ...
I am a controller freak and my desk is cluttered with controllers, that I use for this game ... :blushnew:
Counting them individually (including keyboard and mouse) I have 10 devices that is mapped to the game (one of these is a custom built button box)... :gamer:

I have found that FS17 accepts most controllers, although some might have to be setup manually in the controls menu, but this is something I would recommend to do anyways, even if there is a default binding.
A gamepad like the xbox controller,as mentioned by the "angry guy", would be quite enough for most ... however a steering wheel + pedals and a joystick takes the gaming experience to a higher level (at least for me).
When "on foot" you can use the keyboard and mouse, but I use a xbox controller, in addition to my other controllers, for this.

I googled your controllers and the "yoke" might work to control front loaders and such (if they have +/- movement from the center)...
I actually think I have seen a youtube clip of someone using that "wheel" for this game (you might want to do a search there, for more info).

A joystick would probably be a better controller compared the "sticks" that comes with your setup, as it also comes in handy for camera movement (but you can use the mouse for this).
I have fallen in love with the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS youstick ... which I use in combination with the "throttle addon", for extra buttons.
For extra buttons I also use the Thrustmaster MFD Cougar panels (that will give you plenty of buttons to map to different functions, if you want to avoid using the keyboard).

But as don_apple said ... please give us some more information about the platform that you intend to run the game on.
If you are running Windows you will probably be good to go ... and you can get extra controllers ones you find "the need" for it!
To start of it is probably easier to use the keyboard for most functions as the help screen lets you know what button to press for each available function for the specific vehicle/tool you are using at the moment.

More information regarding this can be found in the FAQ section ...
In the sections reffering to gamepads and steering wheels there are some controllers listed that is known to work.
https://www.farming-simulator.com/faq.p ... country=se
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Farmer D

Post by Farmer D »

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I should have mentioned OS. Both versions of this will be on Windows PCs. I'm using W10 (yuck-not crazy about it), and not sure which on my grandsons, but either W7 or 8.
I also have a Thrustmaster Hotas X joystick hooked up which I also use for my flight sims. I'm able to use both the yoke/pedals and joystick for many functions of flying.
I'll have to check with my daughter and see what controllers they have, but may order one of the aforementioned joysticks.

My software should be arriving tomorrow, so I'll get a little better handle on it then.

Thanks again!