Modding a Map

cstukins

Modding a Map

Post by cstukins »

I finally decided to try my hand at map modding. I'm following the Faming simulator Modding for Dummies. I must be a total dummy because I cannot find the modMapSDK.zip file to unzip and save in my directory. Since the booklet is written for FS15 I was wondering if something change for FS17? I need some guidance to continue learning the editor. Help!

CStukins
Aranea

Re: Modding a Map

Post by Aranea »

Hello cstukins,

yes, some things had changed since FS15 and to me personally its kinda shame they didnt produce a new Modding Guidebook since some things in there are just wrong for the new game... anyway.

you would now export the map directly from the game directionary into a new folder.
to do this you open the default map in the folder you installed the game data/maps/map01.i3d which is goldcrestValley with your Giants Editor (install the new one from GDN website)
then hit File > Export all with Files and choose an empty folder on your desktop or mod folder or whereever you wanna edit your new map.
create a folder named maps in your map folder and export the map into "maps" folder
because some files, like shaders for example are stored one folder "upwards" from the i3d file you need an extra folder inside your map directory so all files can be inside your .zip file later on.

after this you need to close the Giants Editor (because it still has the old base game map open) and then open your new created i3d file inside your own map folder
now you can freely edit this map without crashing the basegame map by accident ;)
and from there on you can follow many points of the Modding Guidebook but also keep in mind that pigs are new in FS17, they are not implemented in the Guidebook for example...
and some other minor things as i mentioned... but the main editing is generally the same way so
MfG
die Spinne :hi:
FS modder & scripter
quality modding and support since 2012
viewtopic.php?f=884&t=115656
cstukins

Post by cstukins »

Hello Aranea,

Thank you for your response. I was able to export the Map01.i3d with all files into my own directory and make mostly simple terrain changes that have bothered me for a few month. What I find is I don't have enough building to store equipment. But now I have to figure out how to get it into the game mod folder to load into FS17 to start the process over. I've not had any luck just yet.

I did find a YouTube series that has helped some but the author is going way to fast to follow.
reider

Post by reider »

Make sure you are editing a map on your desktop or somewhere safe, not the original map
Make a sub folder inside Objects, maybe call it buildings.
Place the downloaded building mod inside that last sub folder (buildings)
Open the map in the editor
In the file menu choose "Import" and guide it to the file you placed in the sub folder
Again on the file menu, can't recall exactly which heading but one of the first few, has "place directly" or similar
Click that and click where you want the building
Save the map
Compress it to another archive, same name
Place it in the mods folder (make sure you use the file that has the building.exe in, keep it in there when you archive it-don't delete it after import)

If the ground is not level then you need to temporarily move the new building and level the ground
If anything grows through then do your best to remove it
You may need the roller to get rid of grass stubble or something that grows back
Best bet is to try and pick good firm level ground with nothing growing there where possible.