What happens when you max out your VRAM?

Rbk_3

What happens when you max out your VRAM?

Post by Rbk_3 »

So I bought the 3GB 1060 then I read on here saying that wouldn't likely be enough Vram and was considering returning it for the 6gb version.

I did a test, playing at 1800p to see what would happen if I maxed my 3gb of ram out. I bought 20+ different tractors and combines to go along with my saved game with already a bunch of equipment on GCV and scattered them at different areas of the map. I monitored my Vram and it was pretty much maxed at 2980 but couldn't get it to go to the full 3000mb but my frame rate still stayed at a rock 60fps even at a high resolution like 1800p. Why did I not get any performance hit?
PC: 9600k/1080ti
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Re: What happens when you max out your VRAM?

Post by bassaddict »

As soon as you max out the VRAM, it will start using the much slower RAM.
At first, it might be no problem, depending on the framerates you got before. But eventually, you'd might need that much VRAM, that the low RAM bandwidth won't be fast enough anymore to feed your GPU with the required data. This will lead to (significant) framedrops, which will be below 60FPS eventually.

Since you said you're plaing on a default map and you already managed to hit the 3GB, this might turn out even worse on mod maps and I think that it will likely lead to framedrops eventually, depending on which mod map you use and what kind of vehicle fleet.

I recommend setup a few savegames that represents your average savegame regarding map and vehicle fleet and check the FPS. If you're OK with the performance, you can keep your current GPU. If not, you might want to get the 6GB version.
Rbk_3

Re: What happens when you max out your VRAM?

Post by Rbk_3 »

bassaddict wrote:As soon as you max out the VRAM, it will start using the much slower RAM.
At first, it might be no problem, depending on the framerates you got before. But eventually, you'd might need that much VRAM, that the low RAM bandwidth won't be fast enough anymore to feed your GPU with the required data. This will lead to (significant) framedrops, which will be below 60FPS eventually.

Since you said you're plaing on a default map and you already managed to hit the 3GB, this might turn out even worse on mod maps and I think that it will likely lead to framedrops eventually, depending on which mod map you use and what kind of vehicle fleet.

I recommend setup a few savegames that represents your average savegame regarding map and vehicle fleet and check the FPS. If you're OK with the performance, you can keep your current GPU. If not, you might want to get the 6GB version.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I am thinking of exchanging possibly for the 1070 instead so I can get a solid 60fps on 4K and then I will have 8GB of VRAM.
I am surprised how well the 1060 can do 4k, so a 1070 will crush it, and hopefully have enough head room for FS19 at 4k.

My other option is keeping this card till the 2000 series comes out and the selling it and having a 2070 for FS19.
PC: 9600k/1080ti