Unable to save games

swordplay2612

Unable to save games

Post by swordplay2612 »

I've recently come across an issue where after saving a game once, I have been unable to save the game again. To reproduce the issue, I've started a new game in save slot 2 and then immediately saved and quit the game. This is how my FarmingSimulator2017 folder looks after this step:

I then launched the game again, loaded the same save game from slot 2. Did not encounter any errors here. I then immediately attempted to save the game and then encountered the below error:

Without exiting the game, here is how my FarmingSimulator2017 folder looks after the error appeared:

I then exit the game and the savegame2 folder reappears, however when I try to access it, I get the below error:

If I view the file permissions of the folder I see this:

This has happened with every save slot, with both singleplayer and multiplayer.

I started with uninstalling mods, then had the same issue. I then verified the game files in Steam, and had the same issue. I uninstalled the game via Steam and deleted the FarmingSimulator2017 folder, then reinstalled the game and had the same issue. I've run virus scan and Malwarebytes to make sure I didn't have any malware interfering with file permissions but had the same issue after both AV and MWB scan.
Slivicon

Re: Unable to save games

Post by Slivicon »

My guess is something has happened to the inherited security permissions from your parent "documents" folder, like your user account is allowed to create but not modify created files, or something along those lines. Look at the properties of the parent "documents" folder, security tab. It should be SYSTEM=full control, Administrators=full control, both not inherited, then the same but inherited from parent user folder, then your own user account full control inherited from the parent user folder.
swordplay2612

Post by swordplay2612 »

This is how the file permissions on my Documents folder looks:

Permissions on the My Games folder:

Permissions on the FarmingSimulator2017 folder:

All of the other folders inside of FarmingSimulator2017 are accessible but something seems to be happening with the savegame folders. I might see if I can turn on some kind of verbose auditing to see if something is changing the ntfs permissions when this happens.
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

Wow, very strange. You could try getting the process explorer tool from microsoft sysinternals (google it) and running it to try and trace what's happening. Any resident programs running like antivirus or anti-malware that might be mistakenly intercepting writes from the game as malicious and preventing them?
swordplay2612

Post by swordplay2612 »

It's possible Webroot is doing something to interfere, I'm not sure if I've tried disabling it or not. Might try disabling that, as well as enabling ntfs permission change auditing, then will report back.
swordplay2612

Post by swordplay2612 »

well auditing file permission changes didn't help. I only saw events where permission changes were made on files in the savegamebackup folder, and not the savegame1 folder. I will need to run more verbose auditing and try it again...
swordplay2612

Post by swordplay2612 »

OK so I turned up the auditing level and I see now that after I exit the game after the first successful save, the game deletes the savegame2 folder. However, I do not see an event logged when it recreates the savegame2 folder. That's the strange thing...
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

Since you are using Steam, have you checked if the Steam Cloud (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -QEIG-8941) is active and might be interfering here:
viewtopic.php?f=945&t=115742&p=900744&h ... ud#p900744
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
swordplay2612

Post by swordplay2612 »

I did disable Steam Cloud sync.
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

If Steam Cloud sync is disabled and it still does not work then I would recommend to follow the advice in the lat post of the other thread and contact the Giants support team directly to get assistance to get this issue resolved.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
swordplay2612

Post by swordplay2612 »

Will do, thanks.
aalikoth

Post by aalikoth »

I am having this same issue with the retail version. When I click on the "Ok" button, the game quits and I get an error message. Error: Can't read profile path.
swordplay2612

Post by swordplay2612 »

Yeah i still haven't heard back from Giants support and just havent bothered to followup with them yet, been busy with other things.