help.. my mod imported from blender exploded

geforumjak

help.. my mod imported from blender exploded

Post by geforumjak »

Rank newbie, sigh. I've searched and cannot find a video or stepbystep just to export a vehicle with modified moving parts from blender2.79 thru GE7.1.0 to FS17. I have lined up parts and tried different origin points. Finally I tried simply exporting a single arm from a working vehicle as OBJ to blender, re-exporting it as i3D, and replacing the original in GE then save and..... poof... the arm no longer appears in the correct place. I notice that it is rotated and translated in GE even though I have made NO changes. If I move it back into place in GE, it moves to a different location in FS17, but still not correct. Obviously I am missing something, but have tried many searches and different variations of export and import and such to no avail. No errors in GE log or FS17 log... and the arm does move around with the vehicle and with mouse movements... just... wrong. I'm attaching a pic of some results. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would mightily appreciate it.

Smith Modding

Re: help.. my mod imported from blender exploded

Post by Smith Modding »

Try selecting the object, then right clicking it in the tree on the left of the screen, select 'freeze transformations' and make sure that only translation is selected
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
geforumjak

Post by geforumjak »

Ok, so, I started again with a different machine, in case what I'm seeing is because of some weirdness in the vehicle... JCB from FS17 modified to a mod. On THIS one (probably due to different configurations) the imported arm is wrong in a different place. I first tried the same process that resulted in the above and got:

Then, I saw Smith Modding's suggestion... I noted a change in origin when I did the "freeze transformation" (Kind of large image so click on thumbnail)

The in-game result was even more odd.. The bar will still shoot down when I try to move the arm ... but the arm is now twisted and locked into the cabin even before I try to move it.

Maybe I need more hand-holding...
- whether to continue to move the origin (in Blender) or let it stay at 0.0.0 as it was imported into Blender,
- whether there are some bits in the Blender Export that should NOT be the default (since I don't know what they do, I generally don't mess with things).. I do know to remove "rigid body" after import to GE... usually takes a minute to remember.
- whether to "freeze" it as soon as it is imported into GE (ie: at the bottom and not actually in the mod)? Hmm, there is a transform child under the arm, so maybe I should try the freeze before putting everything together?? maybe tomorrow, sigh.

I'm sure this stuff is obvious to those experienced in this (but, hey, I spent my career testing and breaking stuff), so any advice is appreciated!!!

good night and thanks.
geforumjak

Post by geforumjak »

Perhaps someone might suggest some other forum for somewhat advanced problems like this?? I would very much appreciate it!!
Thanks!
- jack
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

I'd recommend either GDN or FS-UK
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10