External Optical Drive

Smith Modding

External Optical Drive

Post by Smith Modding »

I recently bought a laptop that doesn't have an optical drive in it, so I'm going to buy an external drive. Looking at Amazon I'm having a hard time finding one I'm comfortable buying because I see reviews saying the die. I figured someone on this forum had to have one so I'm wondering if anyone has one they'd recommend? My budget is $35
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Guil

Re: External Optical Drive

Post by Guil »

Just buy the cheapest one, sure it will only be used very rarely?
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Well I have a few games on disk and I do competitions 2-3 times a year where I sometimes have to turn in a video on a DVD.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Specs-
Guil

Post by Guil »

Still, just use it to install the game and then use an ISO mount program to run the game. Minimal use of the disc drive then.
markare

Post by markare »

Everything will die eventually. Its how you handle it that will give it the lifetime it should have. Honestly from past experience many many years ago now I always found that the cheapest external disc drives lasted long and performed better than top end counterparts.

Like Guil said make an ISO from your discs, retain the packaging, when not using your external pack it away again, will again improve the life cycle

I got an external hard drive sent to me a few years ago full of music because I was into djing. That external for example is now hitting 12 years old and only reason it doesn't work is because it's not Windows 7 or onwards compatible.

Now if I could just find an xp loaded system or a disc I would be happy again.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
anthu

Post by anthu »

Guil wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:44 pm Still, just use it to install the game and then use an ISO mount program to run the game. Minimal use of the disc drive then.
This is also my state of play.
Sign.

Lg
Andreas
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

I planned on mounting the game as an ISO, and I found one on Amazon that gets good reviews and is cheap. I just hope it doesn't die on me when I truly need it :lol:
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Specs-