Choose hand tool buttons FS17 PC

Chrome_Daddy0

Choose hand tool buttons FS17 PC

Post by Chrome_Daddy0 »

I finally joined the forum today. I have been playing since release of FS17 and love the game, I had always played on xbox one though. Recently I spent some money on my racing Sim for pc and turns out I'm using it more for FS17 than racing. Lol. I even just purchased the saitek side panel. I'm getting everything set up the way I like but for some reason I can't find the choose tool controls in the controls listing. The mouse wheel and 1&2 keyboard buttons work but I cannot find them listed to set up a button on the side panel or my racing wheel. I have been searching the internet for days but can't seem to find anyone talking about this. If anyone can help point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated
W1der

Re: Choose hand tool buttons FS17 PC

Post by W1der »

Hello and welcome to the forum ... !

These seems to be missing in the controls menu ... I recall having to use this work around to have them setup the way I wanted it.

Open the inputBinding.xml and look for these lines.

Code: Select all

<!-- LOCKED INPUTS -->
    <input visible="false" name="NEXT_HANDTOOL" category="ONFOOT" key1="KEY_2" key2="" device="1" button="BUTTON_17" mouse="MOUSE_BUTTON_WHEEL_UP"/>
    <input visible="false" name="PREVIOUS_HANDTOOL" category="ONFOOT" key1="KEY_1" key2="" device="1" button="BUTTON_19" mouse="MOUSE_BUTTON_WHEEL_DOWN"/>
Identify the device number and button for the controller you want to use and just change it accordingly.
Easily done if you temporarily assign the buttons you intend to use to something else that you can find in the xml.

Just make sure to make a copy of the inputBinding.xml before you change anything in this with a text editor.
If you mess up, the game will delete the file and replace it with the default (learned this the hard way) ... :this:

Another way to go about it is to change this input visible="false" to input visible="true" ...
This will make the lines show in the controls menu, but with an "error message" (seems to be working though).

[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Chrome_Daddy0

Post by Chrome_Daddy0 »

Wow thanks for the detailed quick response! I will definately try this tonight and report back.
Chrome_Daddy0

Post by Chrome_Daddy0 »

Worked. I have two, inputbinding.xml and inputbinding-saitekpanel.xml. I had to change visible to true for the saitek one before it would show. I have several other missing input ones that work but I seem to recall them appearing after the addition of the saitek panel. Hmmm

At any rate thanks for the help!
W1der

Post by W1der »

Yea, sorry that I forgot to mention that when you connect the Side Panel another version of the inputBinding.xml is created, but you figured that one out anyways ... *thumbsup*

I am glad you got it working! :hi:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5