Moving steam library to another HD ...

W1der

Moving steam library to another HD ...

Post by W1der »

I just realized that "Arma III" alone is taking up 27 GB on my main HD ... and it probably keeps on updating/growing.
I only have around 45 GB of free space left on this drive as of now.

My secondary HD has plenty of free space (around 865 GB).

Does anyone have experience of moving the library to another HD?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Preble 818

Re: Moving steam library to another HD ...

Post by Preble 818 »

I've never done it to clarify in case you want to disregard my post since you asked for people who have lol. You are wanting to relocate your steam library? Or just move certain games? I usually only keep the games I'm currently playing installed but you would need a steam install on the second hard drive I believe because the games are all located in steam/commonapps. They don't have their own location. Unless there's a function that allows for steam to locate a second folder? I'll try and find out if it's possible. It might be quicker if you want them all moved to re install steam on the second drive and re download your games during downtime. Easier depending on your internet situation I suppose.

Edit: It is possible it seems to keep steam on one drive and move some of your games to another. This guy gives a couple different ways in case maybe one will work for your. I've never tried either way. http://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a-pc- ... 1714706774
Playing on PS5 in Ohio, USA.
W1der

Post by W1der »

I figure it would be more easily managed to have them all in the same place ... but then again it is only Arma III that is taking up a lot of space at the moment.

I was sort of hoping for some, do´s and don´ts before I get at it ... :)
I have no experience of steam ... I have only a few games in my library (FS is not one of them). I find it a bit scary to be honest ... :blushnew:

There is a backup "cloud service" ... should I use this one?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Preble 818

Post by Preble 818 »

The cloud is for your save games. It would allow you to access your saves from another PC that you log into steam with or if your HD breaks. I would use it. Be careful though if the cloud isn't current with what's on your pc it will ask if you want to continue with the local content or sync to the cloud. If for example your internet was out and you played a game, you wouldn't want to sync the cloud files to your pc or you would lose progress. When in doubt if it asks don't do it.
W1der

Post by W1der »

OK .... cause when reading about how to move the library according to steams manual ... this is the "tricky" part (not to loose the "progress" and having to start all over again).
But using the cloud service should take care of this I guess.
Preble 818

Post by Preble 818 »

Yes as long as your Cloud save is the same as your current PC save your in good shape