To "quote" or not to "quote" ...

W1der

To "quote" or not to "quote" ...

Post by W1der »

Some topics in the forum is getting quite long ... and a bit hard to follow.

I have always thought that using the "quote function" makes it easier to carry and follow multiple discussions, within the same topic.
However ... lately I have been told to avoid using this function, as this person felt that it "cluttered" the threads ... :confusednew:

I am having a hard time "taking this argument in" ... :blushnew:

The only time I felt that the "quote" makes a "mess", is when multiple forum members are "quoting" a post that contains pictures (as these pictures tend to take a lot of room on the screen).
When using the "quote" for posts containing pictures, one could easily delete the "picture" to avoid this ... :this:

I would like to have "yours opinion" regarding this ... to make it easier for me to come to a personal conclusion, as to "what is better" ... :hmm:
Help me think straight! ... :mrgreen:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Bradleyson

Re: To "quote" or not to "quote" ...

Post by Bradleyson »

How does it leave a mess? Quote away bro, some folks just like to moan...
Xbox one: bradleyson666
Any questions, ask away.
be polite and respectful.
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

W1der wrote:Some topics in the forum is getting quite long ... and a bit hard to follow.

I have always thought that using the "quote function" makes it easier to carry and follow multiple discussions, within the same topic.
However ... lately I have been told to avoid using this function, as this person felt that it "cluttered" the threads ... :confusednew:

The only time I felt that the "quote" makes a "mess", is when multiple forum members are "quoting" a post that contains pictures (as these pictures tend to take a lot of room on the screen).
When using the "quote" for posts containing pictures, one could easily delete the "picture" to avoid this ... :this:

I would like to have "yours opinion" regarding this ... to make it easier for me to come to a personal conclusion, as to "what is better" ... :hmm:
Damn, I made a mess :lol:
Any questions, ask away.
REBELLIOUSSNESS

Post by REBELLIOUSSNESS »

I quote all the time . I say do what you want quoting makes it somewhat easier because then we get notified in whats going on.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

In general this quoting is usefull, as it
W1der wrote:makes it easier to carry and follow multiple discussions
However quoting the hole post and then most of the times just the post right above your own doesn't help anyboy and just blews up the hole thread.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
mdoss

Post by mdoss »

I try to only quote the sentence or question I am replying to... The rest I delete... Like this..
W1der wrote:Some topics in the forum is getting quite long ... and a bit hard to follow.
If it's a much longer quote or a large photo or something, I put it within the (spoiler) brackets... like this...
W1der wrote:

FS19 - PC version
FS17 - Xbox One version (occasionally on PC also)
Intel i7 2.8GHz, 16MB Ram, GeForce GTX 1050
Gamertag - "Dossmeister"
"Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

juf.de wrote:In general this quoting is usefull, as it
W1der wrote:makes it easier to carry and follow multiple discussions
However quoting the hole post and then most of the times just the post right above your own doesn't help anyboy and just blews up the hole thread.
How does one quote sections like that? Please and thank you :)
Any questions, ask away.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

First of: as you will see i use the german language in this forum, but the buttons and layout is the same in every language, so it should do the trick
The images can be expanded by clicking on them.

Most of you probably use the "quote/cite" function in the top right corner.

If you open that you will see a site like this:

In the textbox is a "quote" bordered by the following "commands":

Code: Select all

[quote]<what you want to quote>[/quote]
This can be even more complex and look like this:

Code: Select all

[quote]<text phrase you like to quote>[quote]<text phrase inside the text you like to quote>[/quote][/quote]
Now in this example everything inside you final quote is highlighted:

Now you only want to quote the part which the user wrote himself, so mark only the already quoted part and delete that:

And as a result this is what is left over:

And your final result is this:

I hope this clears it up, if it doesn't feel free to ask again ;-)
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
W1der

Post by W1der »

What a great tutorial ... !
Bradleyson wrote:
How does one quote sections like that? Please and thank you :)
Feel free to test it, within this topic ... :)

Lesson of the day ...
It is "complicated" to make things "easy" (for others) .... :lol:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
WolfeUK

Post by WolfeUK »

Quoting is good when multiple people are talking in the same thread, its like talking over other people, or thats what i use it for,

I certainly wouldn't quote as the first reply to a threadson......
XB1~PC....I do struggle to understand sometimes, but i try :mrgreen:
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

Doh!
Testing :lol:
Last edited by Bradleyson on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any questions, ask away.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Well, it isn't really complicated just a bit more work and you have to get used to it, that's all ;-)
But testing it in here might be a good idea
Playing on PC
W1der

Post by W1der »

Well ... "more work" is defined as "complicated" to "some" ... :coolnew:
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

WolfeUK wrote:Quoting is good when multiple people are talking in the same thread, its like talking over other people, or thats what i use it for,
same... I do it as well so that their is no confusion as to who I am responding to. I do nornmally shorten the quotation though to just the pertinent part..

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
W1der

Post by W1der »

cr41g_1965 wrote:... pertinent
Wow ... that is a first!
Never "heard" that word before! :smileynew: