PureMassacre187 wrote::coolnew:
Funny avatar.
Paeppchen

Re: To "quote" or not to "quote" ...

Post by Paeppchen »

Wrong thread sorry
Seit Ls 11 dabei
"Keep calm and play farming simulator"
At the other end of the internet is still a human being. Show some respect and manners
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Stegei wrote:If there are a few questions from different people in the last 2-3 posts that I want to answer to, I also tend to post something like "<Name>, my answer", which makes it clear to which user I'm replying. Also I try to kind of include the answer in my answer so that the context is clear for everyone.
E.g. if the question from UserX is "How can I open the game?", I write "UserX, you can open the game by double clicking the icon", instead of just "Double click the icon".
The problem with that method is that the person you intend to answer or talk to might never see your reply.

Because we get notifications if our comments have been quoted which helps tracking discussions. Otherwise we should always be looking for every post just to see if anybody said anything to us. If you have a lot of free time to spend on the forum that would work but if you are working and can only spend a limited amount of time on the forum than you need the benefits of quoting.

I use the forum like this:
I always subscribe to specific topics/subforums so that I can get notifications which helps me following up subjects and people.
But I also comment on the topics that I don't subscribe and quoting is the only way I would know someone is talking to me.
As I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people using the forum like this, I always quote if I want that specific person to see my comment. Isn't that also the sole purpose of quoting?

But of course I try not to create quoting pages by quoting a comment that already has more than one quoted posts in it. I pick only the section I want to answer or only keep the ones related to my answer.

Now, I've to say I'm pretty confident that my way is not wrong. But if the moderators have a request on the way how I/we use quoting system I would like to do my best as long as it doesn't make me or others to lost track of dicussions we follow.
PS5 / FS22
Guil

Post by Guil »

That only works if the person hasn't disabled the notification and I'm not trying to be smart but if you really wanted to talk to the poster, couldn't you send them a pm?

Then you have the problem that you are probably asking them something that they, or someone else, has already answered. There's not that many posts in the English forum everyday and if you only post in a couple of threads it isn't hard to just scam over those threads. It's a simple click of a button to see the latest posts in a thread since you last viewed it and unless it's a hugely active thread, which there isn't that many, you won't have many posts to read at all.

The biggest issue is multiple quotes been quoted for a 7 or 7 word reply. It's pointless.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Generation Facebook/Twitter :D
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

RODHA wrote:The problem with that method is that the person you intend to answer or talk to might never see your reply.
Depends on how you use the forum. Sounds like you don't know about the overview of your posts. Check out the "Quick links" in the top left corner and select the "Your posts" entry. This will give you a list with all the topics you've posted in and the ones with new posts are highlighted, like everywhere else in the forum. Even without quoting, this gives you a quick overview over the stuff that might contain responses to your posts and it should be fast to check those topics, perfect for people with limited time to check the forum.
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

juf.de wrote:Generation Facebook/Twitter :D
This right here is the answer.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

W1der wrote:Some topics in the forum is getting quite long ... and a bit hard to follow.

I have always thought that using the "quote function" makes it easier to carry and follow multiple discussions, within the same topic.
However ... lately I have been told to avoid using this function, as this person felt that it "cluttered" the threads ... :confusednew:
There are two simple rules:

1. Do not quote if the message you are replying to is the one directly above yours. Otherwise, always quote.

2. TRIM YOUR QUOTES so that you are only including the relevant comments.

Also, please always use the quote button. Don't DIY the quotes. I see people doing all kinds of weird things sometimes to quote previous messages. That makes no sense when there's a "quote" button up there on the top-right corner of the post. Just click it, then edit out the non-relevant parts of the quoted message, including nested quotes from previous parts of the conversation.
PC | XBox One | American Outback, Westbridge
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

RODHA wrote:
Stegei wrote:If there are a few questions from different people in the last 2-3 posts that I want to answer to, I also tend to post something like "<Name>, my answer", which makes it clear to which user I'm replying. Also I try to kind of include the answer in my answer so that the context is clear for everyone.
E.g. if the question from UserX is "How can I open the game?", I write "UserX, you can open the game by double clicking the icon", instead of just "Double click the icon".
The problem with that method is that the person you intend to answer or talk to might never see your reply.
Yes, some boards encourage multiple replies in one message; that's a bad practice. It breaks the notification system, and it's harder to parse half a dozen replies in one message than to have them broken out into several different messages.

It makes more sense to reply to different people in different messages, just like I did here. :-)
PC | XBox One | American Outback, Westbridge
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

You know, when i quote like lets say RODHA quotes me, i get a notification, but you guys dont like the long list of quotes, but in a normal message he'd type BigC92, how about when someone says the persons forum name, it'll notify you.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

I like how some forums and my forum, when you put a "@" before their username, it automatically gives them an alert that they have been tagged and takes them right to the topic you tagged them in. Pretty cool feature to have.
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

JohnDeere318 wrote:I like how some forums and my forum, when you put a "@" before their username, it automatically gives them an alert that they have been tagged and takes them right to the topic you tagged them in. Pretty cool feature to have.
So, what BigC92 said is possible and sounds brilliant. Never seen that before but it is probably because of me :mrgreen:

If it can be integrated to this forum quoting needs for what I refer would be minimal.
PS5 / FS22
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

RODHA wrote:
JohnDeere318 wrote:I like how some forums and my forum, when you put a "@" before their username, it automatically gives them an alert that they have been tagged and takes them right to the topic you tagged them in. Pretty cool feature to have.
So, what BigC92 said is possible and sounds brilliant. Never seen that before but it is probably because of me :mrgreen:

If it can be integrated to this forum quoting needs for what I refer would be minimal.
Thats what im talking about.