Chat thread 2.0

pigpen

Re: Chat thread 2.0

Post by pigpen »

Have you learned German yet? Amish speak German. I didn't grow up in a Amish household but I did grow up in a Mennonite household and German was the main language in our household.
Alienware PC.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Yeah I was told Amish speak German.

One thing I don't get with Amish is, why do they get to ride in vehicles but can't drive them? Isn't that against their religion to not step foot in ANY sort of electronic, motor, etc.? Not to be offensive to Amish but, I think they should put on some sort of deodorant, just something please!
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
pigpen

Post by pigpen »

JohnDeere318 wrote:Yeah I was told Amish speak German.

One thing I don't get with Amish is, why do they get to ride in vehicles but can't drive them? Isn't that against their religion to not step foot in ANY sort of electronic, motor, etc.? Not to be offensive to Amish but, I think they should put on some sort of deodorant, just something please!
Yes, I don't understand this either. I lived a couple years near Osage, Iowa and there was a lot of old order Amish in the area and I had a lot of questions also.
Alienware PC.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Huh, Osage, Iowa is less than 2 hours away, north-west, from me. :lol:

How to post your log.txt
pigpen

Post by pigpen »

The name of the town I lived in was St.Ansgar just a couple miles from the Minnesota border. I also lived in Webster City. This is why I love the WBH map it reminds me of this area.
Alienware PC.
Erica Von

Post by Erica Von »

My husband speaks Dutch which is close to German a lot of the words are similar though he speaks English with a Dutch/German Accent.
Also there is no in door plumbing to most Amish houses To take a bath you need to heat water on a stove and pour into a Galvanized tub so Taking a bath is a major
operation. No electricity, its candles or oil lanterns also Amish do not enroll in social security either. And your right they don't use deodorant usually take a bath 1 time a week.
But here we have all those nice conveniences but I still have to prod William to take a shower each day. Also married men grow long beards and have no mustaches something about its vain to have a mustache Women can only use a mirror for 15 min each day max as looking into it longer is vain. I did find out something today his mother wants to convert our farm into a Amish settlement. Again I made it clear to William I do not want to convert to Amish.
Garion

Post by Garion »

Congrats on the kiddos Erica! I grew up in the southwest Iowa / northwest Missouri area and there were a few Amish communities around there. Almost took out a horse and buggy on the Missouri highway when I was in high school. Popped over the hill and there he was. Scared the **** out of me; horse didn't even budge. :shock: Now the town I live in is a Danish community. Pretty quiet place until Tivoli (which is this week-end) then everyone is drunk and is friends. :mrgreen:
Lisertan wrote: :D now all I want is to go to a Wallmart .. will do that next time I'm over in the US.
Be careful what you wish for Lis..you will see things at Wal*Mart you can't un-see. :lol:
Farming on PC *thumbsup* and PS4 :biggrin2:
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Oh yes Garion! Wal-Mart is skank paradise! Pardon my french (sorry for my langauge), but it's the truth! Not everyone that goes there are skanks, but the majority are.

Or at least the Wal-Mart I go to has a bunch of skanks there that just love to be there like flies - they never want to go and pester you. Lisertan, please take some advice from us Americans: do NOT go to Wal-Mart!!!!!!! :eek2: And like what Garion said, you will see things you cannot un-see.

And with Amish rules, I have broken them at least my whole life. :lol:
Last edited by JohnDeere318 on Thu May 25, 2017 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

How to post your log.txt
Erica Von

Post by Erica Von »

my husband William makes a Root Beer Ale tastes like a Vanilla Ice cream float.
Garion

Post by Garion »

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bunch of ****** this side of Iowa, just a bunch of people wearing clothes they shouldn't be. (Men too) :shock:
Then occasionally there is this too..
Image :lol:

Erica that Ale sounds dangerously delicious. Care to send some to Iowa. :mrgreen:
Erica Von

Post by Erica Von »

this stuff is his consumption only, besides its illegal to send alcohol across state lines without a license.
However you could buy something similar its called Not your Fathers root beer ale in stores.
I think Walmart carries it.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

So Garion, which part of Iowa do live at? I'm in the Eastern half, the part of the state that got little to no snow. :lol: ;)

How to post your log.txt
Garion

Post by Garion »

Western. We get hammered just about every year. This year wasn't too bad of course because I went out and bought a snow blower. *thumbsdown*
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Ah cool, but yeah I see you guys get everything and us eastern folk are just about dry once the storms from the western reaches our area.

How to post your log.txt
pigpen

Post by pigpen »

That is one thing I don't miss about Iowa is the weather. The weather was too extreme for me. I lived in Iowa from 1994-2000 and seen minus 70 degrees F windchill. Being born and raised in California I wasn't use to it. With the exception of a few hurricanes I like the weather here in North Carolina much better.
Alienware PC.