Giants better add the ability to hack our tractors with Ukrainian firmware in FS19

canadafarms

Re: Giants better add the ability to hack our tractors with Ukrainian firmware in FS19

Post by canadafarms »

Yes that is so right Jag. Years ago if you had a good year you could go and buy equipment, land a vehicle or whatever and pay cash. I don't think I know but a very few farmers that aren't up to their forehead in debt now and those ones usually have old family money coming from somewhere. People think they have freedom because they don't have some guy with a whip standing over them. Freedom is just an illusion, you may think you have it but it's all about keeping the main population working and paying taxes and consuming goods. If people started making more than that then they might say "I'm not working this hard anymore" and then control is lost. Sure the odd person gets lucky and might be able to climb out of the vicious circle but 99.99% of people never will.
PS4
JohnDeere318

Re: Giants better add the ability to hack our tractors with Ukrainian firmware in FS19

Post by JohnDeere318 »

I hear ya Jag, I have been watching the grain prices on local TV and what my grandpa has been talking about when he talks about the crops. I also remember saying that when my mom was younger, my grandpa (her dad) bought a slightly brand new truck. 197- Chevy Scottsdale or Silverado I believe. Now, you can't even buy a new truck until 20 years has past until they get into the $3000-$6000 range.
canadafarms wrote:Well you can still fix very basic stuff like hoses and do maintenance and stuff like that but with all these new machines all the major systems like motor, hydraulics, transmission, even the climate control are tied into the computer. So for starters a lot of times you need to tie into the computer just to find out what the problem is and then after it's fixed you need to calibrate everything again so if they can stop you from having access to the diagnostic tools then essentially they are tying your hands because you have to call only them to come and fix it.
Ah ok, I see what you mean now. When my truck has a problem, we have to use a scan tool to be able to figure out what a problem is -- it would s*ck if I had to do that like what JD owners have to do. :( Most of the time, dealers aren't there when you have a break down or they take longer to get to you than if you would've just done it yourself. They are making things harder than it has to be for farmers already.
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
lexiontech

Post by lexiontech »

I work for a cat, agco, and lexion dealer. All of the newer equipment have a lot more electronics integrated into them than they used too. Some problems that arise are from ecm's that require programming by Claas CDS, Agco EDT, or Cat ET. The majority of electrical problems that we see though are from faulty sensors or damaged wiring that can be repaired without the use of a computer, the programs do aid in the diagnostic process but are not required. I am surprised that JD is making customers sign a waiver, that is something I have never heard of and I think it is bizarre that any customer would actually agree to sign anything like that. The way I see it, if you buy a piece of equipment it is yours, do with it what you please. We have many customers who like to do their own repairs, and once the warranty period is up we don't usually see their equipment again until they are ready to trade. I'm not sure about JD, but we have a few cat tractors and tuck engines on my family farm and I have been able to communicate with the cat ECM's with a generic scan tool, don't think I could flash software but I could check and clear codes and such. That would really *censored* if you were stuck with a machine that you couldn't even get a description of what the problem was without calling the dealer.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

lexiontech wrote:I work for a cat, agco, and lexion dealer. All of the newer equipment have a lot more electronics integrated into them than they used too. Some problems that arise are from ecm's that require programming by Claas CDS, Agco EDT, or Cat ET. The majority of electrical problems that we see though are from faulty sensors or damaged wiring that can be repaired without the use of a computer, the programs do aid in the diagnostic process but are not required. I am surprised that JD is making customers sign a waiver, that is something I have never heard of and I think it is bizarre that any customer would actually agree to sign anything like that. The way I see it, if you buy a piece of equipment it is yours, do with it what you please. We have many customers who like to do their own repairs, and once the warranty period is up we don't usually see their equipment again until they are ready to trade. I'm not sure about JD, but we have a few cat tractors and tuck engines on my family farm and I have been able to communicate with the cat ECM's with a generic scan tool, don't think I could flash software but I could check and clear codes and such. That would really *censored* if you were stuck with a machine that you couldn't even get a description of what the problem was without calling the dealer.
Yeah, no kidding, you know i do my own repairs on my vehicle, but if its something thats beyond my knowledge, ill have to take it in, have someone do it.
Vol

Post by Vol »

Maybe this is how US Robotics and Mechanical Men gets started.

I can see the rationale behind it. This still isn't as bad as patents on seeds and how those agro companies can keep farmers from using their crop for seed because of cross-pollination.
Erica Von

Post by Erica Von »

We bought a service contract that covers all our farm equipment. I bought bill a cordless grease gun dewalt xxtra heavey duty grease for farm and construction eqipment. Max pressure 10k bar.