Win10 - Movie "decoder"... looking for a good/easy one!

W1der

Win10 - Movie "decoder"... looking for a good/easy one!

Post by W1der »

I am using the windows feature for movie screen capture ...

After uploading this file to YouTube it has to be "rendered" by them before it gets published.
I get a "prompt" about, if I upload the correct type of format this would not be needed ...
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

I need some kind of rendering software to do this ... any tips about a good one?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Borealis

Re: Win10 - Movie "decoder"... looking for a good/easy one!

Post by Borealis »

I can recommend Adobe Premiere Elements. You could download the fully-functional 30-day free trial and see if it's what you want/need before buying. It's fairly straightforward to use (for what you're trying to do at least) and can definitely convert your footage to the right format for YT.
W1der

Post by W1der »

I was kind of hoping for something "free" ... as I am not going to use it for anything else than converting the clip to the "YouTube friendly" format.
If I want to edit the clips I do already own a copy of FCPX that I run on my iMac ... but this is for my Windows machine ... :)
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Borealis

Post by Borealis »

OK, you could try Hit Film Express then. It is 100% free but it's not the easiest of programs to pick up and run with. If you're used to using Final Cut, then you should have no problems.
Miura74

Post by Miura74 »

W1der wrote:I am using the windows feature for movie screen capture ...

After uploading this file to YouTube it has to be "rendered" by them before it gets published.
I get a "prompt" about, if I upload the correct type of format this would not be needed ...
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

I need some kind of rendering software to do this ... any tips about a good one?
Well, unless you are in a real hurry to see your videos online faster, I'd not worry about it personally. Upload speed can still be "strangled" by YouTube for uploading anyway, which means upload speeds can still be slow. We have 90MB upload speed here, but it can still take a stupid amount of time to upload just a couple of gigs. But you would save time on the "processing" stage while YouTube encodes all the different sizes. Though I am guessing it will still do some "processing" on their side, as the last 95% part of processing is checking for copyrighted material.

Personally, I ignore that message. I'm using H.264, as they mention, but I've not set to all the things YouTube wants, just using the default from Adobe CC media encoder. I also keep my MP4s afterwards anyway, so I don't want to alter the nice quality.

But, if you wanting something "free" (Yeah Adobe CC is not cheap), then I've heard good things about HandBrake. It's open source and it is free. It claims to render many formats.
PS4 + PS5 (Miura74) & PC player.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PsnMiura74
(No monetization - I don't earn money off views - just fun)