GIANTS Software Ranks

JohnDeere318

GIANTS Software Ranks

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Hello GIANTS Software,

If you don't mind asking, I have always wondered, what do most of your Ranks mean? Like QA Engineer, QA Community Manager, Support Engineer/QA, etc.

I do know a couple, like QA Lead, (maybe Community Manager?), but just would like a better understanding of the ranks. :)
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
cr41g_1965

Re: GIANTS Software Ranks

Post by cr41g_1965 »

I'm a QA Tester... like most of the people on here... :lol:

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

I would think most of us are a QA Tester. :lol:

How to post your log.txt
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

Those are our job titles as used on our business cards. Basically they just roughly describe what we do.
QA means Quality Assurance, which is what you'd refer to in layman term as tester. The other ones (support, programmer, marketing, artist...) should be self explaining to the average user.

To be honest, I think many wouldn't qualify for a QA position. You need to be very patient to be able to do stuff over and over and over again, finding out that one bug fix created another bug.
It's definitely not the free play gaming like you know, but very structured, checking very specific test cases and file the proper bug reports and re-checking each case after it is marked as fixed, to confirm the fix, or report back with the same error/problem or a new bug.

QA is definitely not for me. I rather fix bugs than having to find/confirm them.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification on that, really answers my curiosity. :D And to think, I have been thinking QA stood for Question and Answer, boy was I off. Thanks again @bassaddict, gives me a better understanding of what you guys do. :D

But yeah I agree with you, I probably wouldn't want to be a QA either, as I have little to moderate patience.

It's nice that you guys have those descriptions on your ranking now, instead of just "GIANTS Software" under your name. :)

How to post your log.txt
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

JohnDeere318 wrote:Oh ok, thanks for the clarification on that, really answers my curiosity. :D And to think, I have been thinking QA stood for Question and Answer, boy was I off. Thanks again @bassaddict, gives me a better understanding of what you guys do. :D

But yeah I agree with you, I probably wouldn't want to be a QA either, as I have little to moderate patience.

It's nice that you guys have those descriptions on your ranking now, instead of just "GIANTS Software" under your name. :)
Thats what i thought to JD318, but my question is, you guys got Listeran, i have no idea where hes from, but does he sit at home and do all these things, or does he have to come in the HQ and do all this? How does all that work?
Guil

Post by Guil »

Yes he work in giants office. He's German but speaks English.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Guil wrote:Yes he work in giants office. He's German but speaks English.
Oh, thats cool.
Erica Von

Post by Erica Von »

yep Debug is big I used to program in Visual Basic and C++ and I read a MS book on Writing solid code and to be honest it was the best book I have ever read on programming.
A lot of programming errors that come up during compile are syntax errors, Mistakes programmers make also logic errors are big. I remember doing debug many long hours before I read the book and after I learned how to write solid code it cut 85% of my debug time down. Meow....

Also commenting your code is a big thing cause it helps you and someone that might come behind you to figure out what you did during the debug phase of a project.
Learning to comment is very big.
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

BigC92 wrote:[...]but my question is, you guys got Listeran, i have no idea where hes from, but does he sit at home and do all these things, or does he have to come in the HQ and do all this? How does all that work?
He comes to the office every day, yes. But not HQ. HQ is Zürich, Switzerland. Most of the GIANTS employees with an account here in the forum are in the Erlangen office (Germany), which is roughly 500km away from HQ.

Besides: I doubt that Lisertan would want to work at home. We're having so much fun in the office, at least in Erlangen, I highly doubt anyone here would voluntarily want to work at home all the time.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

bassaddict wrote:
BigC92 wrote:[...]but my question is, you guys got Listeran, i have no idea where hes from, but does he sit at home and do all these things, or does he have to come in the HQ and do all this? How does all that work?
He comes to the office every day, yes. But not HQ. HQ is Zürich, Switzerland. Most of the GIANTS employees with an account here in the forum are in the Erlangen office (Germany), which is roughly 500km away from HQ.

Besides: I doubt that Lisertan would want to work at home. We're having so much fun in the office, at least in Erlangen, I highly doubt anyone here would voluntarily want to work at home all the time.
I have no idea how gaming businesses works, especially this kind, ive always thought they were at home, your position here is a script developer, correct? How does all that work? I have a mod in mind that i might know that will work on console, some people know what im talking about.
Amboss
GIANTS Software | Head of Marketing & PR

Post by Amboss »

bassaddict wrote:Besides: I doubt that Lisertan would want to work at home. We're having so much fun in the office, at least in Erlangen, I highly doubt anyone here would voluntarily want to work at home all the time.
Nope! I wouldn't! /HugsEveryone
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

bassaddict wrote:
This times 1000

Being in the office with all the guys is the best experience one can have. The gaming industry is something special for sure. It's the place where everyone understands if you freak out because of a new Zelda, if you need 2 weeks off, because the next Witcher game just launched and where you can get exited about a game trailer and everyone understands.

It's like working with a bunch of passionate people who share the same hobby. I had to work from home for 5 months back in the days (my Age of Conan days) and it's not even close to the same.

So yeah, I'm in the office and you know what? I wake up every moring and I'm happy that I can go to the office again, because it's a fun place to be and I freakin love my job :D
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

BigC92 wrote: I have no idea how gaming businesses works,
If you forget about all the awesomeness for a second, it's a job like any other, really. We are in the office, we have payed time off, sick days and get a salary that pays all our bills. Nothing different from any office job, except we work with games all day and do something we like with people who share the passion.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun! :D

How to post your log.txt