GIANTS game developers and agriculture

RODHA

GIANTS game developers and agriculture

Post by RODHA »

I've been thinking about this for sometime now. I've learned almost everything about farming and agriculture from this game.

So, where did the developers of Farming Simulator learn farming and agriculture?

I mean they have to have some kind of history with farming and agriculture so that they would know what to create.

At least one of them, may be being a farmer, or all of them got some sort of training to learn how things work, etc...

So, how did that happen GIANTS? Just out of curiosity. Thanks :hi:
PS5 / FS22
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Re: GIANTS game developers and agriculture

Post by Lisertan »

Depends.

Some of us have farmers in their family, some of us are simply fans of agriculture and some of us have no clue about farming and learn it when they join the company :D
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

What about the very begining?

I mean, I don't think there was a farming simulator game in 2003 to take reference.
So, the developer(s) must know a lot of things about farming and agriculture.
And as farming can not be considered as general knowledge I think there must be a stroy to it :biggrin2:
PS5 / FS22
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

What do you want to say. So a game developer of a first person shooter must be a killer, or a game developer of a Formula 1 race game must be a race driver? That really makes not so much sense
Kristaok

Post by Kristaok »

I must say I've learned a lot too. I raise animals on a mini farm, one day I wish to run an even bigger farm.

Thank you Giants for my favorite game!
"To everything there is a Season
and a time to every purpose under Heaven."
Ecclesiastes 3:1
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

RODHA wrote:What about the very begining?

I mean, I don't think there was a farming simulator game in 2003 to take reference.
Our two founders created the game engine without farming in mind. It was a project for their studies. Once they had an engine, they started thinking about the game they want to create. A friend of them told them: You know what I would need? a farming game ... there are no good farming games out there.

That's how it all started. :)
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
ErwinR55

Post by ErwinR55 »

Lisertan wrote:
Our two founders created the game engine without farming in mind. It was a project for their studies. Once they had an engine, they started thinking about the game they want to create. A friend of them told them: You know what I would need? a farming game ... there are no good farming games out there.

Oh, I thought they stole my idea from the internet.
When I was 13-14 year old or so (18-19 years ago;-)) I had joined a dutch forum for a Playstation magazine, called PlayNation.

Once there was a question: If you were to create your own game, what would it be?

So I said: A contractor simulator, where you have to drive with tractors, do field work etc for local farmers.
Had it all detailed out a bit more then what I just wrote. But basicly it is Farming simulator, although maybe without the animals. I am more a crop farmer in heart :P

So I wish I had patented that concept though, could have made money :P

I have to say, from this game I learned about 3% new things about farming. Pretty much only the sugarcane that's coming, as that is totally new for me :)
PS4 player
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Lisertan wrote:That's how it all started. :)
That's cool. I'd like to hear more about the beginnings of the game. Maybe y'all should include a small FS history as a youtube video or an extra in FS19. *thumbsup*

I always wondered the same thing, where did the idea come from. I think it's really neat that Giants just sort of nailed it with the game. There are all sorts of simulator games, but FS seems to have just the right balance of realism, fun, and playability.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Kristaok

Post by Kristaok »

@Lisertan - Makes sense, there really isn't many farming games out there that are any good imo. FS is my favorite other than Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons but it's not quite the same as FS it's more Japanese styled etc.
"To everything there is a Season
and a time to every purpose under Heaven."
Ecclesiastes 3:1
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

fenixguy wrote:
Lisertan wrote:That's how it all started. :)
That's cool. I'd like to hear more about the beginnings of the game. Maybe y'all should include a small FS history as a youtube video or an extra in FS19. *thumbsup*
That is really cool :coolnew: There is always an improvized story behind any long lasting success.

But still, not quite like a proper answer to my question :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I mean, when they decided to use the engine to fuel a farming simulator game, where did they learn the basics and specifics? I might sound a bit stupid here, I don't know. May be for a lot of you, farming basics are just general knowledge. It is not in my country so I just wonder how do you get any type of concept thinking for something you know nothing about?
TobiHH wrote:What do you want to say. So a game developer of a first person shooter must be a killer, or a game developer of a Formula 1 race game must be a race driver? That really makes not so much sense
I'm not sure if that is an offensive comment but what I want to say is that most people would know the basics of guns, war, shooting or as well as cars and racing as part of general knowledge thanks to hollywood, but farming is a more specific title than those. You would at least have a concept in mind with fps or racing games but not with farming.
PS5 / FS22
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Lisertan wrote:
RODHA wrote:What about the very begining?

thats really cool, I like concepts that just started from something small like this :biggrin2:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

I'll talk to our bosses, maybe having a "that's how it all started" video series would be fun.
Community Manager

RODHA

Post by RODHA »

It would absolutely be fun *thumbsup* Thanks Lisertan :hi:
PS5 / FS22
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

This is really interesting
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

ya I'm still waiting on the office tour video :lol:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer