Tractor spotting on road trips

dunnjob

Tractor spotting on road trips

Post by dunnjob »

In the last two months I have made two incredibly long road trips (1750 and 1600 miles each) recovering trucks for my company.

Trip one was the first weekend of the month from Alabama to Northern Iowa. Talk about seeing farm equipment for days. The whole state of Iowa was in the middle of corn and soybean harvest. Many, many huge Deere combines, tractors, and auger wagons in use. I had to pass two S960's in the road and the size of these machines are awesome when you get close to them. Saw a few Case IH tractor and combines in operation as well. I also saw two Challenger tracked machines injecting liquid fertilizer of some sort. Two rare sights: One Versitale tractor that was parked in a field and not in operation. And a distant lime green Steiger. Also during this drive I had to pass by the John Deere Waterloo works factory. HUGE place. I wish I would have had time to stop at the John Deere tractor museum there, but timing did not permit it.

The second trip was out to Southwestern Oklahoma last weekend. You would think I would be accustomed to seeing cotton fields in Alabama. There are cotton fields out there that are as large as counties. Lots of Deere cotton pickers in operation, including some of the new ones that bale the cotton into round bales. Again lots of Deere equipment in use out there but I also saw several big NH 4x4 tractors. They were all older than the T9's and had a number on the side I didn't have time to read, but it was cool seeing some blue in an area dominated by green.

My wife says I have tractor radar. I do enjoy a bit of tractor spotting when I get the opportunity.
We are all ignorant, we are all just ignorant about different things.

Recent convert to PC on FS19
redglasses

Re: Tractor spotting on road trips

Post by redglasses »

^^oh ya, I love going for a drive, especially during harvest season. This year I saw quite the straw operation, they had 2 front end loaders loading 2 b-doubles that were mounted on big 4x4 tractors, I think one had tracks like the challengers. They also had 2 revers drive nh's with loaders, and a couple balers. This is nice because they were using square bales too. :shock:
I also saw a couple farms using both square and round bales in the same field which seemed odd to me. :confusednew:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

Here in the UK , when me and my family go on holiday we see claas combines , claas tractors , John Deere combines and tractors , lots of valtra tractors . Most of them are pulling trailers full of crop down the motorway . We went to a show and when we parked the car , a John Deere zoomed past without a load and all you could hear was it's mighty engine .
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Here in Georgia and Tennessee there are a lot of fields and farm equipment, so I have a fun time going on school trips and visiting family. It's mostly NH, JD, and Case IH out here, with some older Fords every now and then
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Ive seen a great plains cultivator pulled by a NH few months ago here in UK
Mydamnwell

Post by Mydamnwell »

I am about 30mi outside NYC and have seen a surprising variety of machines. Deere is still king, everyone and their mother has one, but the farms around here are more 'hobby' farms than a true 'working class' kinda farm. People mostly farm around here to get a break on property taxes and to care for their horses.

That being said, you get folks who don't really care about the cost of equipment, Fendt 900s are getting popular but they all have to be specially imported from what I can see. Saw a guy with a pair of JCB's the other day and I've been wondering where he picked those up too... And over the summer I spotted a shiny new Krone harvester bumbling around and taking up the whole road.

Oddly enough, new Holland equipment is nowhere in sight, and their factory is only an hour or two away in Pennsylvania. Haven't come across any of the newer Masseys yet but would love to get a peek at their new 6000 series.
Console pleb [PS4]
garyst

Post by garyst »

I sometimes bring my digital camera with me and take pics of anything I see working in the fields or any cool equipment I see parked somewhere.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

One time my on a school trip my bus passed a bigx that was sitting on the side of the road, our bus was going quite fast, and I didnt see it coming up so I just caught a glimpse of it. I then proceeded to try to contain my freak out inside of me :lol:
My Discord
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

SimulatedSphere wrote:Here in the UK , when me and my family go on holiday we see claas combines , claas tractors , John Deere combines and tractors , lots of valtra tractors . Most of them are pulling trailers full of crop down the motorway . We went to a show and when we parked the car , a John Deere zoomed past without a load and all you could hear was it's mighty engine .
Tractors on the motorway would be illegal in the UK.
Fs11-15 on pc. Fs17 & 19 on xb1.
kwaka

Post by kwaka »

SimulatedSphere wrote: Tractors on the motorway would be illegal in the UK.
Not 100% true. Loaded on a trailer is fine.
Driven on a motorway is illegal but not un heard of. It happens.
EnglishGent

Post by EnglishGent »

I have on occasions seen a local council tractor out and about between landscaping duties. Last night a pretty big John Deere passed me (I cycle a lot) pulling a large and fully loaded trailer which was 'steaming' a little :hmm:

My most unexpected sight was at a fencing company and I only got a glimpse as I was in traffic, but it was a seriously large white Valtra with a nose mounted chipper. I've heard a big chipper in their yard before but never seen what was making the noise before.

Whilst sitting at a traffic light, a JCB fastrac pulling a flatbed ran across ahead of me, and it had a Unimog on it. I have a soft spot for Unimogs, but those are even rarer than tractors around here!
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

kwaka wrote:Not 100% true. Loaded on a trailer is fine.
"Sighs" Ha ha ha. That's Dad joke territory!
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

EnglishGent wrote:Whilst sitting at a traffic light, a JCB fastrac pulling a flatbed ran across ahead of me, and it had a Unimog on it. I have a soft spot for Unimogs, but those are even rarer than tractors around here!
We see a few unimogs over here. NIE (Northern Ireland Electricity) use them for taking poles into fields and stuff. They also have some 4x4 trucks to do the same job which are cool to see.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Esb networks in Ireland use mostly the same plant I think. After a recent storm here it was announced that electric network firms from Ireland, northern Ireland, UK and France regularly share crews in times of need.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

^^now thats cool
My Discord