Computer repair expert in here?

skymanies

Computer repair expert in here?

Post by skymanies »

Really need some help in here regarding a Windows issue. My father got his computer locked by some kind of virus. User accounts are deleted so longer find a way to get into device. Before taking it a repair shop, any other methods I can try out to unlock the device?
eight_lugs

Re: Computer repair expert in here?

Post by eight_lugs »

Try booting in safe mode?
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

As an IT director I strongly recommend a full hard format on your hard drive.
Viruses, especially the ones that are nasty enough to mess with user accounts cannot be cleaned up in a safe way.
If you try to connect your internal hard drive (or SSD) into an external box in order to save your files then remember you are also getting a huge risk of infecting the second machine.
I just hope you already had backups.
PS5 / FS22
Mythtaken

Post by Mythtaken »

I agree with RODHA. The only safe way to remove that kind of virus is a complete wipe and reinstall. I've had to do it for a couple of friends. They were not happy about the photos and files they lost -- but they now do regular backups.
If you sow your wild oats, hope for a crop failure.
skymanies

Post by skymanies »

RODHA wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 am As an IT director I strongly recommend a full hard format on your hard drive.
Viruses, especially the ones that are nasty enough to mess with user accounts cannot be cleaned up in a safe way.
If you try to connect your internal hard drive (or SSD) into an external box in order to save your files then remember you are also getting a huge risk of infecting the second machine.
Yes, I will definitely do that. However, I need to access the computer first and get back the files from C drive.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Thats what I was refering as "connect your internal hard drive (or SSD) into an external box in order to save your files"
Unless those files have vital importance to you I suggest not to take the risk of infecting another computer in the process and accept the loss of your files.

But if you really need to get those files then;

1) Find yourself another computer, preferably and expendable one,
2) Install a licensed anti virus software, preferably Kaspersky,
3) Find an external drive box, which you can connect the drive of your computer into,
4) Connect the external dirve box to the second PC, make a full virus scan, clean the viruses if you can and save your files.

However, this is an extremely risky option as you would probably infect the second PC and there is still the chance that you won't be able to clean your files in C:
PS5 / FS22
Oillery

Post by Oillery »

skymanies wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 am Really need some help in here regarding a Windows issue. My father got his computer locked by some kind of virus. User accounts are deleted so longer find a way to get into device. Before taking it a repair shop, any other methods I can try out to unlock the device?
You can solve this problem by yourself without spending any money, Google doesn't have to charge you, If you go to a computer repair shop, it will only waste your money.
You can break this account or password, and then create a new one, which will reduce your loss.
Get more : https://www.passmoz.com/best-pc-unlocking-software.html
Last edited by Oillery on Mon May 21, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

One thing I did when windows crashed and I was unable to get into my PC, was booted from my Ubuntu live disk (Go here to figure out how to make one) and navigated to my hard drive, then copied the files that I wanted to save onto another flash drive. After that I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
skymanies

Post by skymanies »

Smith Modding wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:34 pm One thing I did when windows crashed and I was unable to get into my PC, was booted from my Ubuntu live disk (Go here to figure out how to make one) and navigated to my hard drive, then copied the files that I wanted to save onto another flash drive. After that I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows
This is brilliant. I will go testing it.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Smith Modding wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:34 pm One thing I did when windows crashed and I was unable to get into my PC, was booted from my Ubuntu live disk (Go here to figure out how to make one) and navigated to my hard drive, then copied the files that I wanted to save onto another flash drive. After that I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows
And the virus?
PS5 / FS22
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

You could get an anti virus on the ubuntu live disk and tell it to scan external drives (aka the infected hard drive). If it finds something and removes it, try logging into the device again.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Specs-
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Got it. I didn't know any AV supports ubuntu. But it is just me. Not really dealing with linux myself.
PS5 / FS22
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

There's not one that technically "supports" ubuntu but there are ways to get one on there. Skymanies, if you need any more help, feel free to PM me, I'm happy to help
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Specs-
Alley302

Post by Alley302 »

skymanies wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 am
RODHA wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 am As an IT director I strongly recommend a full hard format on your hard drive.
Yes, I will definitely do that. However, I need to access the computer first and get back the files from C drive.
Boot with Ubuntu Live CD. When you reach the desktop environment, you can backup the files on your hard drive, or open a terminal to reset your forgotten Windows password with chntpw:
https://www.top-password.com/knowledge/ ... buntu.html

Or use the following free Linux Live CDs to unlock your Windows user:
https://www.hirensbootcd.org/faq-items/ ... -password/
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

Smith Modding wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm There's not one that technically "supports" ubuntu but there are ways to get one on there. Skymanies, if you need any more help, feel free to PM me, I'm happy to help
ClamAV is a cross platform antivirus tool and can be install on Ubuntu by entering "apt-get install clamav" into a terminal. You can find more info at the web site. The tool has a text interface but there are graphical front ends for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clam_Anti ... interfaces
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1