[Solved] So my Xbone is dying...

fenixguy

[Solved] So my Xbone is dying...

Post by fenixguy »

My trusty Xbox One which I've had since January 2016 might be on it's way out. It's been pretty good though for what I've put it through. It pretty much stays on from 5pm to midnight everyday. It handles all my streaming, music, and gaming. I've always kept it on the "instant on" setting and have never had a crash, overheat, save file corruption, or other error.

Anyway, about a week ago it started acting up. I can load up FS17 from a fresh start and play as long as I want. I can save, leave and go to Youtube, Netflix, Prime, even start a new game and it has no problems. But if I back out to the home screen and then try to resume the game, the Xbox shuts off completely. It won't restart with the controller, only the power button on the console. I thought it was an issue with FS17 so I uninstalled and reinstalled but that didn't help. I tried it with some other games and get the same results. It only does it when I load up the game and play. If I load the game and only go to the menus (ex: download mods), I can leave and resume and it's fine.

Anyone ever heard of this? If it is a hardware issue, I'd like to figure it out soon so I can plan for a replacement.
Last edited by fenixguy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
eric21

Re: So my Xbone is dying...

Post by eric21 »

Is it overheating?
Guil

Post by Guil »

Possibly the hardrive? Have you tried resetting or initialising it?
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

It could possibly be the HD, my mom's PS3 made a weird noise, and it shut off completely, but what we did was unplug it from back of the console, waited a few seconds, plugged it back in, and it turned on and works fine, but on my dads old PS3, which is mine now, we were playing Dust514, and he went to do something, came back and the game was froze, so he hit the restart buttonand it wouldn't come on, so he took of a piece of plastic where the HD was, and he fried the HD, I've never had this happen with my PS3 or PS4, its well ventilated, so it has good air flow to it. But yes, it could be on the verge to stuff out on you. HD ain't that expensive i do believe.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

So I took apart my power supply and took the cover off the xbox to see if it was caked in dust. I cleaned the fans a bit but overall it wasn't bad. Still getting good airflow and I can play for several hours without it overheating. It's still shutting off when I resume a game. Doesn't do it with other apps like Netflix or Youtube. Only games. In the meantime, I just make sure I completely quit the game so it has to load fresh every time.
Guil wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:02 pm Possibly the hardrive? Have you tried resetting or initialising it?
No I haven't. I'll have to do some searching.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Have you tried taking it off the instant on function?
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

^^Yes I did.^^ That allows me to start from a fresh load each time which works. It's just puzzling to me that if I resume it shuts off.
Garion

Post by Garion »

Sounds like a HD problem. Hard drives are cheap on Amazon. A Seagate 4TB Is only $120. Cheaper for less TB. I imagine it is similar to changing out a PS HD which only took me 5 minutes. There are loads of how to vids on YouTube. I assume there is some cloud feature to upload your saves to because changing the HD will erase those from your console but you can redownload them from the cloud. On PlayStation you had to go to their website to download the formatting on to a USB stick and plug it into the console after you have the HD in and it will format it for you. This is a simple option and cheaper than going out and buying a new console, unless you want to upgrade to a onex.
Farming on PC *thumbsup* and PS4 :biggrin2:
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Thanks for the responses. If I do upgrade, it won't be another console. I've watched some videos on replacing the hard drive and it doesn't seem too difficult.

I may wait and see how 19 is on console before I make a decision (if it lasts that long).
ltl.vamp

Post by ltl.vamp »

Did you made a complete new start of the console in the settings menu?

BTW: The controller could be the problem. Do you have another controller to reproduce the problem?
Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One X, Xbox One
FS17 Platinum > FS19 Premium > FS15 Complete > FS22
Samsung UE65MU8009TX 4KUHDHDR
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Solved! It was the Youtube app causing the crash. I deleted it and everything is working fine.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

I knew it! That really needs to be fixed
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer