Question about 4x4 vehicles.

BigC92

Question about 4x4 vehicles.

Post by BigC92 »

Now i don't need the "because its a Ford" stuff, i put up with it on the other simulation forums. But yesterday we were cutting wood, and i put the Log chain on a tree and have 2 tow straps which is hooked to a clevis on the Expedition, but my dad put it in 4L because you need more power then wheel slippage, but he put it in 4L, and it didn't go into 4L, so we went home checked the vacuum connections and they were good, but the front axle actuator motor locked in, but he got it into 4L and he tried to kick it out and it wouldn't do anything, but when it did, she didn't like it, but theres a umm actuator motor connected to the Transfer Case, is that the problem? Because i think that's what engages the different 4x4 settings.
Tyler62990

Re: Question about 4x4 vehicles.

Post by Tyler62990 »

I wish I could answer your question, but the only thing I can offer up is "don't buy a Ford" lol. Seriously though, my mother had an Explorer and it did the exact same thing during a snowstorm last year, then poof, like magic the problem went away. Long story short, we never got to the bottom of it.

Anyway, the most useful thing I can recommend is search YouTube for your problem. Ford SUV's are such common vehicles, I can almost guarantee you'll find a video on the topic. Good old YouTube has saved me thousands in repair bills and new cars over the last few years.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

We still have it over 10 years. I think it got wore out.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

I think the best thing you can do is bring it to a shop, probably your local ford dealer
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
JCByellowguy

Post by JCByellowguy »

Your best bet is just replace the transfer case shift motor. If you were able to get it into 4low then the rest of the system would be working properly and I would suspect the shift motor is just falling victim too age. Electronic transfer case shift motors are notorious for failing around the 8-10 year mark wether they are used every day or never. Time always gets the better of electrical components on any make of vehicle.
Xbox One Farmer
Yellow Farmer with some Red mixed in
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Thats exactly right, it is a 97 after all, so its 21 years old, nearly 200k miles on it, but before the dashboard light for 4x4 and low range would light up, but it finally went into 4L, we tried kicking it out, it didn't like it whatsoever. We had it since i was in 8th grade, but yeah, but when we first got it, the alternator was bad, so dad and my uncle changed it out, but since last year, the A/C Compressor went out, then a brake line had a hole in it, and now this.
Guil

Post by Guil »

That's the joys of motoring. No vehicle never gives trouble at some stage. Our bin lorries have breakdowns on a daily basis.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Well theres no such thing as a "perfect vehicle" meaning never breaks down ect. But stuff does wear out.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I'm not super mechanically inclined, however my dad is. We have had that motor go bad in his pickup a couple times. I know that it's not difficult to replace. Usually takes just a few minutes. Also, assuming we're talking about the same thing, you can remove the motor and manually put it into 4 wheel if you're in a real pinch (e.g. stuck) with pliers. I recall my old man talking about that motor being a problem child in every vehicle it's ever been in.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
gmfarmer420

Post by gmfarmer420 »

Best thing you could do is find an F-150 similar year xl model with the floor shifter and eliminate that motor.
FS22 season pass, FS19 Platinum and FS17 on PC FS15 on X360
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

Ford's was good to do that with the electric tcase shift.
XBOX/ FS22
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Do Transfer Cases go out rarely or is it common? See we have the part, and theres a shaft arm that comes out of the Transfer Case, and the shaft then goes into this circle part which is connected to the motor. All we do is take the 4 bolts loose, take it off, unconnect the wire, reconnect the missing wires to the new motor, connect the switch wire to the motor and see if it works.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Nothing to worry about, she's Locked Loaded and ready for 4x4, the motor looked awful, its sides was bubbled out, but we took off the old one, we had to switch it to 4x4 for the shaft to go on, bolted it back on the Transfer Case, and she kicked in and out of A4WD, and 4x4 easily, and we have to put the Transmission into Neutral to kick in/out the 4L, but all we have to do now is change the battery post terminals and she'll be good to go.