Numbers

redglasses

Numbers

Post by redglasses »

Our life is ruled by numbers...

Let me start, I've been getting a little but stressed about my math marks as of lately. I like my teacher, I respect him as a person but I really dont like his teaching style. It is the exact opposite of what I'm used to in my school, he only marks tests, and he gives only a 5% bonus if you actually do the homework (which I'm doing.) Where the problems really come in is I dont do great at tests, low 80's and mid 70's in my tests. Normally I'm used to a really high math mark, (high 80's), so therefore my parents have come to expect a higher mark then what I'm getting right now. Therefore I'm feeling a bit of pressure to get my marks higher.

This got me thinking. Our lives are ruled by numbers, if you're looking for a university/college you are going to need a high mark, if you want a good paying job you need a university/collage education. So in the end it all comes down to the numbers, its really quite sad when you think about it, just a number can change your entire life, a simple 2 digit number.

I guess this gives a whole new meaning to "The numbers Mason, what do they mean?"
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
RODHA

Re: Numbers

Post by RODHA »

If I was at your age atm, I would be totally agree.
But life in general is ruled by classification.
More specifically, classifying people.
Marks, amounts, numbers... in general any measurement method is there just to classify people.
You numbers through out your life determines your classification and your classification determines your life.
Well, if you cramp 8 billion intelligent life form with free will into a tiny little planet, that happens I guess.
You didn't ask but my humble advice to you is just be yourself.
Because, if you try to be someone else to just bump up your numbers, you will eventually fail at some point.
Your place in life is predominantly related to who you really are.
Just be yourself and let the life handle your future.
PS5 / FS22
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

I hated all my teachers besides for two 3 of them, my science teacher, my English teacher and my Special Education helper or teacher, idk which, but i did and experiment in science class, see whenever we had an assignment or a test to do, I'd go to my special ed teacher, but i quit doing that instead the science teacher read me the questions, i know it may sound weird but every time she read the question, i just knew the answer, but as for English, assignments or test, i went there for help, to me i think i did better when she read the question to me, also i about threw it down with a classmate while in class, i can tell you, if you want, i graduated in 2011.
Preble 818

Post by Preble 818 »

I'd like to point out that the idea that you need a college education to get a good paying job is false. Certain careers require one but that doesn't mean you'll be better off. The trade careers are begging for good workers and they will pay. Don't forget that you will pay on student loans for probably 10 years unless your lucky enough to have scholarships or someone pay your way. I have an associates degree from a community collage and I pay 318/month in student loans. I'm getting close to paying that off but think what you could do with that much money a month If you were working a trade job and investing it instead of paying the government back. Unless your not in the US and then all I said may be total malarkey where you live. Anyway I get what your saying in general. All I can say is plug away as best you can and forget about most of the noise around you. That's all it is is noise.
Playing on PS5 in Ohio, USA.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

What is it you do for a living Mr. Bigshot? Lol
Preble 818

Post by Preble 818 »

I'm far from a bigshot man lol. I'm a respiratory therapist. Sorry didn't mean for it to sound like that I just hate seeing people jump into all that debt because they think it's the only way.
Playing on PS5 in Ohio, USA.
VMB-TAN

Post by VMB-TAN »

A bonus for doing your homework?
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

^^Well considering I dont have to do it at all
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Luuullzzzz the American School system is a lot different...
Everything is required. We get no bonus unless one of our teachers decides to be nice. I've never had a problem with math, I think I have a 97 or something right now in Accelerated Pre-Calc. I hate my science teacher though he is really boring and gets really snappy and is constantly in bad moods. But it's easy I have a high A. APUSH (AP US History) is interesting... I'm a sophomore in high school and I'm taking a HARD college level class. It's definitely a lot of work, for instance, I had to do 9 separate essays last night for homework. Still, I have a 91 or something in there. Spanish is just confusing as heck I am completely lost in there until right before we have a test and then it sorta clicks and I can at least pass the test, so I have a 94 or so in there. All of this so that I can get into Georgia Tech (one of the best engineering schools in the South, if not America) and study engineering of some sort, I haven't figured it out yet.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Irish farmer 91

Post by Irish farmer 91 »

Preble 818 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 am I'd like to point out that the idea that you need a college education to get a good paying job is false. Certain careers require one but that doesn't mean you'll be better off. The trade careers are begging for good workers and they will pay. Don't forget that you will pay on student loans for probably 10 years unless your lucky enough to have scholarships or someone pay your way. I have an associates degree from a community collage and I pay 318/month in student loans. I'm getting close to paying that off but think what you could do with that much money a month If you were working a trade job and investing it instead of paying the government back. Unless your not in the US and then all I said may be total malarkey where you live. Anyway I get what your saying in general. All I can say is plug away as best you can and forget about most of the noise around you. That's all it is is noise.
Gotta agree here there are so many people have become successful and set up companies worth millions with just basic high school education. A neighbour of mine started at 16 with a tractor and stone cart , now he has dozens of diggers , a fleet of lorries and couple hundred guys working for him. All without university education. Another example is John finlay, set up quarry machine factory in my home town that now earns millions every year for Terex
Playing on Ps4
Cowboy5130

Post by Cowboy5130 »

I’m a freshman in high school (didn’t y’all just LOVE that year 😒). Anyway, yeah, everything is required, in my geometry class, homework is worth 60% of the overall grade. I’m trying first year Spanish too and I can at least have a mini conversation. Oh yeah, and did I mention this is my first year at a new school and I’m balancing it with wrestling and FFA and 4H... anyways, just keep working man 80’s are good, just try to stay out of the 70’s. That’s I’m doing and I’ve got a 3.75 gpa. I’m wanting to go to Purdue University though so I’ve got a long 3.5 years left to keep good grades.
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
Ravenport start-from-scratch;
Absolutely love the game!
SeaDog

Post by SeaDog »

I was always told that I had to get good grades to get a good job. Well, I got the degree and my first job was at a place that had lots of tradesman working. They were the highest paid people there.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

For me, HS was worthless, if it wasn't for me being disabled, who knows where i would have ended up. I tried to get good grades, but it wasn't worth it, i could have dropped out, but i didn't. I think about what might have been, i think about it constantly. Could have been a Pro Basketball Player, but again disability, and my guidance counselor kept on pressuring me saying i gotta do this and that, i hated it, i didn't like her whatsoever, i could have told her to F off.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I just graduated high school this past year. Coming from a small rural town, lot of farm kids and country kids. Oddly enough, there are also a lot of doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc. Naturally, there was a divide there between the uppity-up kids( who usually had a chip on their shoulder) and the kids of the hard working people. Myself and many of my classmates spent our entire high school careers being told that, basically because we weren't planning on going to a 4 year college, that we weren't going to amount to much in life. In the meantime, since graduating last June, I've attended a 5 month certification school for Heavy Equipment Operations and a Class A CDL. Coincidentally, I just graduated this past Wednesday. Now I am back home looking for work. In the end, I have completed my schooling in 5 months. Many of my former classmates will be in college for years, just to make as much money, or possibly less, than I will. They certainly aren't wrong to go to college. It just simply isn't for everyone. They can stick to their fancy science stuff if it pleases them. Just give me a pile of dirt and some machines and I'll be happy. In general, though, I agree with what BigC stated above. High school was for the most part a total waste of my time, particularly the last 2 years.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

One other thing that I would like to point out is the fact that, in the US atleast, the skilled trades (Such as Carpenters, Equipment Operators, plumbers, etc.) are among the highest growing and highest paying jobs out there. Many of those jobs do often involve schooling for a short time.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel