Red Dead Online-Share your thoughts

Deadeye

Red Dead Online-Share your thoughts

Post by Deadeye »

Hi all, I know some probably haven't played the game (Most definitely do so if you ever get a chance) but i'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on Red Dead Redemption 2? More specifically, what do you think of the online? I saw a few posts for this on another thread at one point I believe, but i'm curious and think a more extensive discussion would be interesting.
Here are mine:

To start off, I loved the single player story. It was excellent. One of the best stories I've seen in any video game. The singleplayer absolutely lived up to its predecessor in my opinion, with only a few minor things that I personally didn't like. The lack of pardon letters for the wanted system like in the first one being one of the most noticeable for me, along with a few of the missing weapons from the previous game. This may make sense, though, as this game takes place before the first one. All in all, I'd recommend the game, even if just for the story, to anyone.

As for the multiplayer portion of the game, I found it to be great fun at the start. I loved the story that was implemented. I rushed through it in about 2-3 hours, only to find that after that, it abruptly ended. The nature of the "ending" did indicate that more would be added later, though, and the fact that it was just the "beta" made it acceptable. I still had some fun with a few friends for a couple weeks, enjoying the many side activities, fully expecting to see more features very soon. The online multiplayer's economy made it very grindy, and while there were friends around and still some new things to experience, exploring the large map while hunting and fishing and doing side missions was fun enough that I came back day after day, despite the map being somewhat empty. The game was also rife with griefing, which made things somewhat interesting at first, but soon became little more than an annoyance. The few showdown modes that were available were janky and broken, much like the PvP combat in free roam. Very little skill was involved, as aim assist was in all of the lobbies and it seems that even slight differences in internet connection made them difficult to play. The map selection was also quite lacking. All in all, though, I was still able to have some fun with them at times.

Now here we are, almost 5 months since the release of the online mode, Which released almost a month after the single-player mode. The economy is still quite broken, despite some modifications in an early update. There are only a handful of added showdown modes, one of which I can't play because it simply doesn't show up on my game. These modes offer some new twists, and a little bit of variety, but are still just as broken as the ones already available. There have been some fixes to the griefing in the game, but the problem is still far from fixed. At some point, a few more story missions were made available. The introduction of two new weapons, The Evans Repeater from the previous game and a "Rare" double barrel shotgun, which I believe has no difference to the "Regular" one. The map is still quite empty, the player base has diminished quite significantly from what I've read, and there has been little reaction from Rockstar.

There has been an update announced for sometime this spring, that is supposed to add lots of new content and fixes, and I hope it comes soon and that it does, in fact, add a lot of new content. I have stuck with the game as best I could, but it is getting VERY redundant. The fun is definitely dwindling.

As it turned out, my "thoughts" turned into a full-fledged review. Sorry for the long post. Feel free to read and reply with your thoughts.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
fenixguy

Re: Red Dead Online-Share your thoughts

Post by fenixguy »

I bought the game for the story. I was skeptical at first because I was a HUGE fan of the original. RDR2 not only lived up to the first, but completely blew it utterly away in my opinion. One of the best games I've ever played.

I have no use for online. I've never played GTA or the original RDR online. I believe we are in the last days of great single player story games. I think the "golden era" of great storytelling in video games is behind us. Now developers are moving toward pay-to-win online games. I don't think people have the attention spans to slog through a narrative anymore. People seem to want non-stop action with online multiplayer with no real end goal in sight. Just keep doing the same over and over. And devs love it because folks will spend hundreds of dollars on a game they already purchased.

Heck, in a lot of ways FS and other simulators are technically the same. Just do the same stuff over and over and buy the new shiny equipment/map/game mode DLC that comes out only to do the same stuff over and over until the next game comes out.

Sorry for the tangent on "kids these days". I got my fill of online paintball matches with CoD back in the day.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
dxeh

Post by dxeh »

What Fenixguy said...
tacdiver235

Post by tacdiver235 »

What Fenixguy said.
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

fenixguy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:09 pm I bought the game for the story. I was skeptical at first because I was a HUGE fan of the original. RDR2 not only lived up to the first, but completely blew it utterly away in my opinion. One of the best games I've ever played.

I have no use for online. I've never played GTA or the original RDR online. I believe we are in the last days of great single player story games. I think the "golden era" of great storytelling in video games is behind us. Now developers are moving toward pay-to-win online games. I don't think people have the attention spans to slog through a narrative anymore. People seem to want non-stop action with online multiplayer with no real end goal in sight. Just keep doing the same over and over. And devs love it because folks will spend hundreds of dollars on a game they already purchased.

Heck, in a lot of ways FS and other simulators are technically the same. Just do the same stuff over and over and buy the new shiny equipment/map/game mode DLC that comes out only to do the same stuff over and over until the next game comes out.

Sorry for the tangent on "kids these days". I got my fill of online paintball matches with CoD back in the day.
I agree with you on the developers, but disagree on the players. There is still a lot of demand for single player story driven games. The reason they are going away isen't because people don't want them anymore it's because the developers can get more money from online multi player games, make them for cheaper, and keep recycling the same content and engine. It's greed on the developers side that has been causing the decline. Just look at all the junk they try to make you buy these days like loot boxes, cosmetic stuff that half the time you cain't even see on your character, pay to win items, cash for in game currency, games that come out with only part of the story/content with the rest being dlc later, etc...

The gaming industry has been growing bigger and bigger every year since it first started and is getting to the point of pushing business away from tv. With this growth companies were fighting to create better and better content to stay on top, but some companies have given up entirely on their content for cash grabbing EA being a prime example... But the fallout and pushback from the consumers from this is just starting. After a few of the old top dogs go bankrupt/out of business for their disregard for their customers it will settle down and eventually balance back out.

As for RDR online... it's just gonna be rockstar milking every penny they can from whoever then can like GTA online is. Protest this with your wallets. Enjoy the single player for what it is, play the online if you want, but refuse to fork over any extra cash for online content.
PC gamer.
Farmer216

Post by Farmer216 »

I'm several months behind the OP, but here's my $0.02:

I loved playing thru RDR2! The story was great. It was funny, it was sad, it was scary at times.
The ability to completely customize my character always makes the game more immersive. First playthru I was slender, well groomed and clean. Second time I'm a fat dirty hillbilly.
I will say this for anyone who is about to play the game: Don't look at online guides, just wing it. And take some extra time in chapter 2 to explore and hunt.
I'm on a 2nd playthru. Now that I know the plot, I'm spending more time hunting collectables.

I haven't played online. I don't intend to anytime soon.
I was 80% thru the story on RDR1 when online was released.
Of course I tried it. It was such a tiresome griefer-fest that it turned me off to the game. I never finished the single player story.
I'm a little worried that it would do the same to #2.

-=-=-=-

In regards to fenixguy:
I do agree that many developers are making "pay to win" type games. There is much more profit in it.
I'm not interested in those types of games, but many on my friends list are.
I really enjoy games with a good story. I'm the guy who is ok with "meh" graphics, as long as the story is good.

I haven't given EA any of my money since SIMS3 (Xbox 360). They seem to be the worst at trying to nickel and dime their customers.
Someone bought me SIMS4 for my birthday, and most of the DLC is $40-$50 EACH. I think someone said its over $500 for the full game.
And almost all of it should have been part of the base game.

GTA 5 was pretty good online for the first few years, but they went so far off the rails its no longer what it used to be.
I've heard they've made billions from selling "Shark cards", which is just real money in exchange for fake money. People are idiots to feed that system.
I play on Xbox3 (Which they called the "One" for some reason)
Addicted to Farm Sim since: 6-26-2k17
FS17@ 5,336hrs ~ FS19@ 3377hrs (updated 2.18.21)