World ploughing record

BoxTunnel

World ploughing record

Post by BoxTunnel »

I've just googled the world ploughing record and it seems the most land ploughed in 24 hours is currently held by a Case IH Quadtrac with a Gregoire Besson plough, but that was set in 2005.

Is this not a thing any more, or are real farmers turning to smaller machinery but owning more of them?

Just wondering...

BoxTunnel, currently using an old Steyr, a plank and some 12" nails on Oakfield.
DirectCedar

Re: World ploughing record

Post by DirectCedar »

BoxTunnel wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:02 pm I've just googled the world ploughing record and it seems the most land ploughed in 24 hours is currently held by a Case IH Quadtrac with a Gregoire Besson plough, but that was set in 2005.

Is this not a thing any more, or are real farmers turning to smaller machinery but owning more of them?

Just wondering...

BoxTunnel, currently using an old Steyr, a plank and some 12" nails on Oakfield.
I think it's more the cost of going for the record. It's generally the equipment manufacturers who decide to do such things as publicity events, not real farmers per se. If memory serves that ploughing record took a support crew and in-flight refueling system and who knows what else. The tractor needs to literally not stop moving for the entire 24 hours. Plus you need to find the biggest, flattest, squarest chunk of land in one huge parcel in order to maximize output. I vaguely recall Horsch around the same time setting the world seeding record with one of their drills. I also don't think that record has been attempted since, likely for the same reason?

This is my guess anyway.