Gleaner combines - never heard of them before...

BoxTunnel

Gleaner combines - never heard of them before...

Post by BoxTunnel »

...but I like the one I've just downloaded! I guess they don't have a presence in Europe?

The only downside is that I've just started a new map with seasons, so I won't get to see it in action until harvest :frown:

Edit don_apple: topic moved to 'Off-topic', since Gleaner is not a brand in the base game.
El Rav

Re: Gleaner combines - never heard of them before...

Post by El Rav »

According to wikipedia they're sold in North America, South America, and Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleaner_M ... ng_Company
Farmer Foley

Post by Farmer Foley »

According to the Interwebb they are part of the AGCO corporation..I saw one that said Allis Chalmers under the wording Gleaner on a youtube vid.
Last edited by Farmer Foley on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You keep a Troshin :hi:
Guil

Post by Guil »

I downloaded one recently but didn't like it, think it had 25k capacity as well as 20/25k work speed. I know I could easily change it but just wasn't bothered.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

Gleaners are awesome. It was the Allis Chalmers combine back in the day. for the longest time they were just stainless steel unpainted metal. If anyone cares about the old ones, Meredith Bernard has a youtube channel Link here. Her husband bought one and has been restoring it back to running condition.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Untiedshoes

Post by Untiedshoes »

I think they are definitely regional, as most equipment is. They seemed to be the combine of choice for all the custom wheat harvesting crews that came through our area when I was a kid, back in the 80’s. I remember seeing them and they looked really simple, unpainted metal and black. Never rode in one or saw one up close, everyone in our area had red or green, with an occasional yellow thrown in.
https://images.app.goo.gl/E9LQqDMpD9JQsmK47
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

chedly_farms wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:05 pm Gleaners are awesome. It was the Allis Chalmers combine back in the day. for the longest time they were just stainless steel unpainted metal.
I think they were galvanized not stainless? Perhaps I am mistaken. Since I would guess about 1990 they have been painted grey I believe. I want to say the L and the N were probably the last galvanized models, but I'm guessing.

We had a G when I was very small. Dad called it the "Silver Seeder" because it threw over so much. It was about as ruggedly built as a Meccano toy, which however isn't really a strike against Gleaners as all combines of its vintage were built flimsily.

They still have their following today though and are popular in pockets. Their presence, as one would guess, seems related to how good a local dealer is in that area. The newest one the S-something (S97? maybe S99?) I believe is an absolute brute like all big new combines (with price tag to match).
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Bit of triva as well that many of you will already know:

The name AGCO is derived from Allis Gleaner COrporation, and was formed when the former executives of Allis Chalmers bought the company's assets out of receivership and reorganized.

I imagine a few of those guys have done well on stock options over the years :lol:
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

They are great machines, I run an F2 irl
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
Exfarmer89

Post by Exfarmer89 »

Yes, they were galvanized metal sheets. I had two different ones when I was still farming. A small K2, and then moved up to the M2. At that time the conventional combines were, smallest to largest, K, F, M, and L. In the eighties they also started production of their rotary combines. The N series, N5, N6, and N7. The N7 had the largest grain tank of any combine in production. It held 315bu, which was considerable at that time.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Exfarmer89 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:52 pm Yes, they were galvanized metal sheets. I had two different ones when I was still farming. A small K2, and then moved up to the M2. At that time the conventional combines were, smallest to largest, K, F, M, and L. In the eighties they also started production of their rotary combines. The N series, N5, N6, and N7. The N7 had the largest grain tank of any combine in production. It held 315bu, which was considerable at that time.
I would call a 315bu hopper in 1979 closer to massive than just considerable. I thought maybe you had mistyped and meant 215 so I looked it up to double check and holy heck you are absolutely correct. 270hp and 315bu hopper; the N7 was a legitimate beast in its time.