How Much Tractor Do I need/want? (40 Acres)

aronken123

How Much Tractor Do I need/want? (40 Acres)

Post by aronken123 »

Hello everyone. I am looking for information and advice on purchasing the right tractor for my property. I have 40 acres of land and here is a list of some of the things we are planning on doing. Fencing and cross fencing (Auger?), approx 1-2 acres vegetable garden (tiller), approx 2-3 acres of fruit trees, Rotational grazing of Goats (60), Pigs (5 breeding pairs) and chickens (150), 80 yards of gravel driveway that will get snow (plow), potentially some some mowing grass hay, and probably a bunch of stuff I missed.

This will be my first tractor so I am very inexperienced. So, what brand, size, features, attachments should I be looking at? Any advice on the buying process would be great too (ie where to look, what to look for, strategy to get most for the money).

Thanks in advance for the help!
Last edited by aronken123 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deadeye

Re: How Much Tractor Do I need/want? (40 Acres)

Post by Deadeye »

Drmattymd wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:03 am Probably better off asking this on a forum thats not based on a video game, just sayin
Possibly true. A lot of us here are farmers and/or tractor and equipment enthusiasts though, so this definitely isn't the worst place to hunt for an answer.

Hands down I'd recommend a Deere or Kubota, or maybe a Kioti. Kubotas are ballsy and any one that I've ever ran was a bull of a machine for its size. That said, if you have to start pulling parts, it gets expensive. Kiotis are more or less the same. My parents have a situation similar to yours and we have a John Deere 4410 with a loader. 35 horse Yanmar diesel. Awesome engine and tractor. A loader is definitely something you're going to want. We also have a set of forks and a bale spear for ours that were bought later on. You're definitely going to want something in the 35-50 horsepower range. A cab might seem nice, but it could also get beat around depending on just how much you intend on "abusing" it. Definitely consider that. 4 wheel drive is also a must if you're going to use it year-round. As for implements, I'd recommend WoodMaxx. They have a wide range of implements with good customer service. Not sure on pricing though. Our flail mower was a bit above average price, but we had a few extra features we purchased with it.

Some food for thought on the buying process too. A used tractor might be cheaper and depending on your mechanical ability more feasible for you as you can work on it yourself. Usually tougher to get a loan for one though, if you're taking out a loan. A newer machine will have more electronic nonsense on it that makes it harder for the user/owner to work on. That may or may not be a plus though, again based off your own mechanical ability. Newer machines are usually easier to finance. Most importantly though, explore your options. Don't just look at price and looks. Look at dealers and how close they are, warranty, etc. A machine is only as good as the dealer/manufacturer who backs it. Hope atleast some of this helps, and good luck!
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
dunnjob

Post by dunnjob »

A few things to consider.

1. Don't get one that does not have a loader. Period. There is no better attachment for a tractor.

2. Get one that is 4x4. Makes loader work much easier. (This is my one regret with the 5055D Deere I purchased in 2010.)

3. If you are considering doing hay I would not get anything smaller than 55hp. Most hay mowers and small square balers are going to need at least 40hp (to the PTO, PTO hp is generally about 10 hp lower than advertised engine hp).

4. Dealer support is a big deal. Pick a brand that has a good dealer in your area. For example, don't buy a Deere if its 100 miles to the next Deere dealer. Don't buy a Kubota that has a dealer down the road but they don't have a good reputation.

5. Go sit on them. Demo one if you can. Control layout and operator comfort can vary from machine to machine depending on your height, weight, and body type. Mowing 40 acres can be a multi-day affair. Comfort makes a big difference. A cab with heat and A/C is not a requirement to get the job done, but OMG it helps.

6. Don't buy a cheap rotary mower (Brush hog, bush hog, whatever you call it in your area.) Get a medium duty cutter that is equipped with slip clutches on the drivelines. Yes, they are more than twice the price but will last 10 times as long. The cheap, light-duty cutters are a total pain in the rear end.
We are all ignorant, we are all just ignorant about different things.

Recent convert to PC on FS19
luisbb

Post by luisbb »

Hello friend, I recommend you to see the characteristics of the tractors you are looking for in reference sites. There are several with a lot of information about tractors and other types of agricultural machinery.

I bought a John Deere 6910 with little use and at a very good price with which I am currently working.It has the latest generation of hydraulic front suspension, features that are noticeable both in their use and in their driving. In addition, the isolation of its cabin is very optimal.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Go for around a hundred horse. It will be on the big side but if you take care of it, it will last forever with what you want to use it for. Plus it gives you the ability to upsize a bit on implement if you would like someday vs the 50-60 horse range that people often buy for this type of work. Generally cost isn’t that much greater either.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Same as what Mwal said here, I would think about 100 horse, maybe depends on where you live, but in the US, make sure you have a good dealer near you. Go off of that, and also parts, and then choose a good brand from around your area. Deere, Case, Kubota, or possibly Mahindra.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!