End of Windows 7, what now? Relax, read this.

LS09God

End of Windows 7, what now? Relax, read this.

Post by LS09God »

When you are still using W7 for some reason (afraid to upgrade and loose your stuff or you heard that W10 isn't very good at all) and you're not certen if it still save. But, you don't want to pay over €100,- to upgrade... Well, you remember the free update session in 2012? And that that service would end in 2014?

Good news, the service still runs, FREE. You CAN upgrade to Windows 10 when you have your current Windows 7 or 8 registered.
All you need is the upgrade tool from the MS website. Don't bother looking for it, here's the link.

Run the program and select the option to keep all settings and apps. You can also do the clean install, but then you loose everything.

Yesterday I also did the upgrade (reluctantly) and while it took a long time to finish, it all worked as intended. After the system loaded into W10 for the first time, I only had to update GPU and sound drivers. Clicked the FS19 icon (it was still there because off the keep all install setting) and presto ready to play with all the keybindings and prefs intact.
This applies to all my games. Some older apps I used where broken, but not needed anymore.
Even account settings and wallpaper where as I set them in W7. So it looks like nothing happend, exactly how I wanted it. *thumbsup*

So, I suggest to spring into action and get on it while you still can. At this point it's not clear how long the service will be available. :hi:
Specs:
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E mobo.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 processor.
Corsair 32Gb DDR4 internal mem.
Sandisk 1Tb SSD as boot and game drive.
Samsung 1Tb hdd for general storage.
Gigabyte RTX2070 super graphics card.
Razer Naga Chroma mouse.
Logitech G27, G13. Saiteck HOTAS pro.
Razer BlackWidow Keyboard.
Fiber connection.
JohnDeere318

Re: End of Windows 7, what now? Relax, read this.

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Can confirm this. Found that out about a year ago, it uses a working Windows 7 or 8.1 key, even though I've had Windows 10 since its debut. No need to pay over $100 for a new key. I don't know why people are saying Windows 10 is bad, I have loved it since its debut.

I still use Windows 7 Pro on my old HP Compaq 6710b laptop and my old HP 6000 Pro, just because I want to lol. I even run an old Gateway desktop with XP, and a laptop with Vista on it just for nostalgia purposes. But that's all it amounts to - nostalgia reasons.

Though, if you really want it to be similar to Win 7, download Classic Shell, hide the search bar on taskbar and hide task view button.

I'd also recommend everyone to upgrade to Windows 10, just because Windows 7 is getting older now (can't believe it's been 10 years since its release).
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt