Anhydrous Ammonia

Bryan83

Anhydrous Ammonia

Post by Bryan83 »

So just curious, what is the purpose of of using it, and is it just sprayed on top or is it actually injected into the soil?
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Illinois Farmer

Re: Anhydrous Ammonia

Post by Illinois Farmer »

It puts nitrogen into the ground to make the corn grow better. We just put it on where the corn will be planted and it is knifed in. It can kill you if you inhale too much. If it touches your skin or clothes it will burn you.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

So is it only used on corn?
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

Alot of people also use it because usually it is the cheapest form of nitrogen, and corn needs alot of nitrogen, so yes it pretty much only used before corn. On our farm we do not use it, we put some nitrogen down in the spring and then we side-dress the corn later. Not very many farmers in my area use anhydrous.
Illinois Farmer

Yeah, and around me everyone uses it. It has been crazy seeing all the tanks.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Well thanks for the replies. I'm a little bit of a science nerd, so it was fun to learn a little about agriscience.

Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

I remember last year on the news there was a tractor with a anhydrous bar and tank and it had a big leak so they had to close all the roads in the area.
Illinois Farmer

We had one tank that was leaking that the co-op had to come out and fix. There was a kid burn badly a few years ago. It is really potent smelling and dangerous to be around. You just have to be really careful and take your time in handling it.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Farmercaseih wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:55 pm Alot of people also use it because usually it is the cheapest form of nitrogen, and corn needs alot of nitrogen, so yes it pretty much only used before corn. On our farm we do not use it, we put some nitrogen down in the spring and then we side-dress the corn later. Not very many farmers in my area use anhydrous.
Yeah, we put down cow poo and the sometimes in the early summer my dad brings out the side dresser, but we don’t use it often. Never heard about anhydrous til you guys mentioned it
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

^^same.
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Old old thread but thought I'd tell a story my friend told me.
One of my friends dads 20 some years ago was pulling out of the local Co-Alliance with anhydrous but the Coop guys forgot to unhook the tank so it ripped the hose off and dumped anhydrous out. The ended up having to evacuate at least part of town (not tiny not big, is the county seat or whatever its called).
That was a terrible retelling I know...
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Double Post
Last edited by DEERE317 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Illinois Farmer

I have accidentally inhaled it and felt it burn my lungs. My grandpa had it spill on his clothes and burn his chest.