Engineer check-in

CaptGoodvibes

Engineer check-in

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

I'm curious who here has an engineering degree and is working, or has worked in their degree field? I mean, we know who farms irl ;)

I'll start.

My degree is in Electronic Engineering--the low voltage stuff--and I have enough years on the job that a Masters degree--the high voltage stuff--would be meaningless. My field of expertise is in enterprise telephone systems. I'm semi-retired now and working in real estate in Las Vegas, NV, USA

Cheers!

Who is next?
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
Hoss1

Re: Engineer check-in

Post by Hoss1 »

Howdy captain, I shouldn’t reply as I’m not an engineer, however, growing up, I had high hopes of becoming a ME. I loved (and still do) most things mechanical. My parents told me that’s what I should study in college. I started down the ME path only to find I wasn’t as enthralled with it as I thought, so I switched to AE. By this time I was failing more classes than I was passing. Too bad it wasn’t because of frat parties... it wasn’t my thing.

My problem is math. I have a hard time with much more than simple addition and subtraction :confusednew: ... just ask my teenage boys, they’ll agree! On the advice of an outstanding professor (who was also my advisor) I changed majors (again) to something a little less “math-based”: management.

I still have (at 50 yrs old) the curiosity of engineering (ALL fields), but I’m just missing the academic understanding. Your engineering mind is something I wish I had. I like to think of my mind as “simple”, yet practical. :lol:
Playing on Xbox since FS15
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

48 views, 1 reply. This forum doesn't engage enough.
PS4
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

I am a space engineer :smileynew:
the game kind
Hoss1 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 am

I still have (at 50 yrs old) the curiosity of engineering (ALL fields), but I’m just missing the academic understanding. Your engineering mind is something I wish I had. I like to think of my mind as “simple”, yet practical. :lol:
You should try out space engineers ( a steam game) it is futuristic and you do a lot of engineering in it plus....( it has mods)
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
EnglishGent

Post by EnglishGent »

I am a materials engineer, in both qualifications and working life. I have enough materials experience to look things up and understand most of what I read about materials, as I don't have the total memory recall for facts and figures.

It has all been by circumstance rather than design. I wasn't pushed at normal school as I was nothing special kid. However at the age of 16 I was told college (16-18years old) wasn't for me, and I should get a job with a bit of training thrown in. I found a job in tungsten carbide processing. I was given a 2 year course in general science (after I'd been there for 1 year...). At the end of that I was asked to go for a higher course for another two years. When I went to sign up, during the interview I was asked to hand over my previous certificates to see if I was eligible, and I also produced a letter of intent to pay from my employer, and all of a sudden my previous grades were less important... Part way through the higher national certificate, the company was taken over and I was asked to find a degree in materials engineering. Having my higher allowed me to skip the first year degree course and move right into the second. As I was a part time student, each 'normal' year was split into two years, so it took another four years to qualify.

To a certain extent my teachers might've been right about my chances as I only got a lower second (At the time the results were Firsts, Higher Seconds, Lower Seconds, Thirds and Fail). However, I had taken over as metallurgist already at my place of work doing fives days work in four and trying to study at weekends.

One thing I remember was during the first lesson on Powder Metallurgy. The tutor said "You cannot press an object more than three times it's own diameter." and everyone was taken notes and I put my hand up and waited for him to realise... "I'm sorry, but I think your mistaken?" I said, to which he replied something along the lines of "And how do you know that?" "Well, I am a powder metallurgist, and we do that all the time!" I replied. He didn't speak to me again, and when it came to exam time, there wasn't a single question on powder metallurgy!

Plus points to being a powder metallurgist... I have a degree from it. Negatives... it's a dying trade and no one else does what we do in this part of the country, but as powder metallurgists don't grow on trees, I'll probably have a job for as long as the company is open? Fingers crossed for another 20 years or so and then I can retire :hmm:
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

EnglishGent wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:45 am I am a materials engineer, in both qualifications and working life.
Hey! Another engineer! Cheers *thumbsup*
PS4