NA and the Dual-Wheels

Ekan

NA and the Dual-Wheels

Post by Ekan »

Out of curiosity :) Whats up with the duals in NA? You'll see it in any worksituation. Compared to EU you hardly see duals, sometimes some tillage but rarely. Why?

Edit don_apple: topic moved from "General Discussion" to "off-topic", since it is about "real world farming" and not about the game itself.
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
Farmercaseih

Re: NA and the Dual-Wheels

Post by Farmercaseih »

Flotation, traction, stability, and if you have row crop tires you can spread out the load more while still being able to drive between the rows.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

I got this thing up to 20% slip on a hill, and I wouldn't have made it with single tires lol
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Ekan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:36 am Out of curiosity :) Whats up with the duals in NA? You'll see it in any worksituation. Compared to EU you hardly see duals, sometimes some tillage but rarely. Why?
Different field types, different regulations, different country rules, weather etc. Lots of factors
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

Farmercaseih wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:35 pm Flotation, traction, stability, and if you have row crop tires you can spread out the load more while still being able to drive between the rows.
Yes I know the purpose of using duals :) It's was not what I meant. Here in EU its kinda uncommon to see duals, sometimes when tillage, but thats it. In NA you see it everwhere, on combines, tractors etc, also in alot of diffrent worksituations. Why? The ground harder to work? More sensetive? Or it's becouse of the raods? NA has bigger raods then most EU, thats why? I have no clue so thats why im asking :)
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Its common seeing them in Poland or in Belarus where they have huge fields
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

We have taken a 25' header down the road before lol, but wider roads, and we grow more row crops so we need narrow tires but we also don't want to leave ruts all over the place
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I thought I watched a video once from George Saunders where he explained he could get fined for running Duals on roads in the UK. Can anyone explain more on that?
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

US road width restrictions are different than in the EU, Duals are used to aid in traction and weight distribution. Years ago the main tillage tractor would be used for lesser draft jobs also so the ability to remove them was needed, Wide tires didn't always fit every application, where narrow tires do, best example is cultivataing (weeding) was widely used. Wide tires are becoming more common as of late depending on application and use alot of manure haulers use them.
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Here's an answer from someone that doesn't farm, but was also intrigued by this when first playing FS and looking at how things are done in the old country. Namely, I wondered why Europeans don't use them very much.

In a nutshell, Europe has stricter width restrictions, smaller roads, smaller fields, and more traffic. Of course, the landscape of the US varies greatly but for the most part, farming here is done in wide-open land with wide roads and less traffic. So farmers here can get away with using duals. The duals help with traction and floatation when using large implements with heavy tractors. And the narrow duals allow to drive between the rows for planting, cultivation, and spraying.

It also depends on where you are in the US. Where I'm from in the mountains and where I've traveled in the Northeast, farms look a lot like those of Europe. We have narrow roads, lots of traffic, and small fields. You'll never see a tractor with duals.

Of course, as time goes on, we see that tracks and LSW tires are becoming popular.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I would imagine it’s a law related issue I don’t know countries in Europe’s laws but here in the states if you aren’t blocking a major road you are basically exempt or no one enforces their laws to much even if they do exist. Ag is a pretty big part of the community and a lot of people just understand that a month in the spring and a month in the fall is going to be pretty crazy then it’s mostly quiet the rest of the year. Really the only time things are over the top is harvest, lots of guys cruising around with 40 foot headers but mostly they are just jumping sections so you get use to just getting out of the way and letting them do their thing.
TheWittyGinger

Post by TheWittyGinger »

As many have said already narrow duals give you more floatation while keeping the tires between the rows. Another thing to add to this subject is that especially after harvest, keeping the tires between rows helps a ton with tire wear. Cornstalks and bean stubble are very hard on tires. Although many people are switching to tracks and extra wides because the reduced compaction out weighs the wear. Especially now that no till and minimal tillage is becoming a norm. If you don't do tillage often the you can't afford to pack the ground anymore than necessary.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Going on what other people have said, I found that in the EU there is a restriction of your implement or tractor being no wider than 3 or 4 meters for road transport. I think this was due to the narrower roads some areas had. I actually discovered this when we got our Claas Jaguar 970 and the pickup head on front had the wheel fold in, which only stuck out from the rest of the harvester about 6 inches on each side. They fold those wheels in to get down to whatever width is the maximum. That's why most European vehicles are more compact than NA vehicles. For us in the US, we can run duals down a country road, or even through the city, because there is enough room.

This is our primary tillage tractor, the setup would require more horsepower but I get less slip at 7mph with the big tires on. And that width is completely legal since we have fairly wide roads
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Dairydeere wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:05 pm
This is our primary tillage tractor, the setup would require more horsepower but I get less slip at 7mph with the big tires on. And that width is completely legal since we have fairly wide roads
How common are front 3-points where you're at?
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:13 pm
Dairydeere wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:05 pm
How common are front 3-points where you're at?
Not very common, actually. They can come factory, but I only know of two people besides us in the valley that run a front 3-pt. One guy has it for a butterfly mower setup, with the PTO and everything, and the other person has the LaForge hitch like we do. We have the 3-pt on this tractor and one other tractor because our new silage blades have 3-pt attachers. And we also used to run a liquid fertilizer tank on the front of our planter tractor. But not very common out here

*They're not from factory, so they don't have the front PTO
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!